Comfort Works and IKEA ~ Sofa Cover Review

Last spring when I bought my IKEA Ektorp sofa, I was so excited and hopeful that it would be the jumping off point for a switch to neutral tones in my living room. Don’t get me wrong…I love color. But I also love to switch things up on a regular basis. Going neutral with the main pieces just made sense. I loved the look of the white slipcover but for me it didn’t work. A little too casual and hard to keep clean.

Enter Comfort Works. A company based in Australia that makes, one at a time, slipcovers for IKEA furniture. From my first request for swatches until the slipcover was on my sofa the experience has been wonderful. I got the look I wanted…casual but a little more refined. A lovely cream instead of white. Perfectly me.

I found Comfort Works when I was doing my research on the Ektorp sofa before I bought it. They were always in the back of my mind if the white slipcover didn’t work out. A few months into living with the white slipcover it became obvious that it wasn’t for me. I ordered swatches from Comfort Works and the process began. I chose this linen-look fabric called Kino Natural. Their selection of fabrics is huge and varied. You can get a totally custom look for an off the rack price. Can’t beat that.

Here’s a few things to keep in mind:

• Order the free swatches. It takes about 10 days to get them but it’s worth the wait. We all know how different things can look on computer monitors.
  • Since the slipcovers are made one at a time, lead time is 4 to 5 weeks. I used that time to paint, choose other furniture, etc. My slipcovers came before I was ready.
  • The piping and construction is beautiful. The zippers are sturdy and the fit is right on.
  • My slipcover is under $300.00. For that price I am getting a great product and yet I can switch it out without breaking the bank.
Now I have some fantastic news. Comfort Works is offering my readers
2 FREE 18 in. x 18 in. pillow covers
with any slipcover order.
Just enter the promotion code featured above when you check out. The promotion code is good until November 25th. If you are interested please order your swatches right away. You will have plenty of time to receive them and place your order before the promotion code expires.
Here  is a shot of my sofa sort of naked. I wanted you to see the slipcover on it’s own. Even though I love pillows (shocker) my sofa is pretty enough now to go it alone.
This close up really shows the texture of the fabric and the beautiful piping.
I showed you my Ektorp chair and ottoman in a previous post. I chose those slipcovers to match the sofa for a clean, put-together look.
Since beginning my blog I have met so many wonderful people and have been introduced to resources I didn’t know existed. Comfort Works is a perfect example of that. A company that produces a well-made and affordable product. Visit them and see for yourself.
(Comfort Works provided me with a sofa slipcover free of charge to review on my blog. Other than the free product, I was not paid for writing this review or compensated for my opinion in any way. This review reflects my own honest opinion. I am not being compensated for any orders placed using the promotion code.)

1. Hines-Sight says

Ann,
    I'm testing out my comments on my blog, and I responded to you on the blog, and I'm checking to see if my response went to your e-mail as well. That's the goal.

But, yes, we had a great time at Build-A-Bear.

2. semplice says

I have going back and forth about that sofa. My sofa now is a beautiful cotton, but with 2 dogs and kids it was ripped. My mother and I have debated covering it and then I saw the comfortwork site. One question is the sofa comfortable? Looks beautiful!
    Bristol

3. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here says

Ann, The slip cover is beautiful and has a very high end look. Your room looks fabulous and I love the pillows. Thanks for sharing this company and I am on my way to look around now.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

4. Cindy says

Your new slipcover is gorgeous! I will have to remember that for my sister, she bought an Ektorp recently. She found the IKEA slipcover very difficult to put on. Is the Comfort Works one as tight fitting as the original one was?
    Your living room is really beautiful now with the linen color sofa and chair.
    Have a lovely day.

5. Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing says

Those are gorgeous slip covers Ann. I wish I could do more white in our home. But with two boys, a husband and a black dog, just can't do it. I did in our bedroom and I do love it there.

6. Toni says

Ann – It looks wonderful. I love how it is a bit more fitted, not so "sloppy" for lack of better word. The texture and color is perfect.

Oh, by the way, I pulled out my Rebel XTi and have been using it. Not sure if my pictures are better or not.

7. Lizabeth says

Looks marvelous! I love those big pillows too- nicely sized! Beautiful prints too! The fabric on the sofa looks great and very durable!

8. Tammy @BeatriceBanks says

Lovely! The slipcovers fit perfectly. And the sofa looks so plump and comfy! With two boys running around here, I've put off getting a neutral sofa but it will be my next step (waiting for the youngest to get out of the sticky hand stage.) The pillows are adorable too!

9. Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes says

The sofa looks great, Ann. I like your new neutral look. You will enjoy being able to change pillows and have different looks. Have a great week!—— Shannon

10. Becca says

I LOVE the Ektorp pieces … actually, I love anything from IKEA! Your sofa looks wonderfully comfy, and the slipcover is fabulous. Thanks for the tip, as I may end up with an Ektorp piece or two!

11. Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch says

Wow, that's good to know, since I might need to buy some stuff for a new house. (Still keeping the ranch… it's a long story… I'll tell you later!!)

12. ℳartina @ Northern Nesting says

Ann your new slipcovers look fantastic! I love the whole new look of your room, but I loved it before too:) Have a great week, Martina

13. NanaDiana says

Ann, I love your new slipcovers. That price is not bad either…especially when they are so well made…and I love the slight texture of the fabric and the piping is perfect! Nice…and it looks great in the room! xo Diana

14. Something Nice and Pretty says

So pretty Ann! I love the pipeing on it, really well worth $300.00! I also like the fabric on the one you chose, very nice!
    Have a great week coming up!

15. Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures says

Wow what a great gift for reviewing what looks to be a great product. I love your pillows. Is that the wall you were trying to decide how to decorate?

16. Kelly says

If I had an IKEA sofa, I'd probably order from them. It sounds like they make a good product and provide an alternative to what IKEA offers. Your sofa looks beautiful. I have a slipcovered sofa too (my slipcover isn't custom though) and I prefer that over upholstered sofas so I can wash them.

17. Lesley says

I just love to hear great stories like this one. Furniture slipcovers are so hard to come by that are quality. Yours looks lovely. My daughter has a large Ikea sofa in her room. I will have to keep this in mind. Thanks

18. Blondie's Journal says

It looks beautiful, Ann! It's great that you found this company…how lucky we are to have the internet to do so!

I have gone back and forth on getting this sofa. Do you find it comfortable? Well made? I would love your opinion!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

XO,
    Jane

19. Ann@A Sentimental Life says

your braver than me …I am afraid we would not be able to keep it clean. It is so pretty and you can put anything with it!

20. Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads says

Ann,
    I love the creamy shade. Your pillows look so good on your sofa as well as the grouping behind it. I would like to slipcover a loveseat that I have, but it's a totally different style. Wish I could take advantage of the special deal!

21. sissie says

Ann,
    Your sofa is so pretty and I love the creamy shade. The slipcovers look so well made and fit perfectly.

I'll go over to their website and check it out.

hugs
    Sissie

22. Pondside says

This would definitely encourage me to think about the IKEA sofa. We need a sofa for the TV room/Library. Thanks for the thorough research and report.

23. ❀❀❀Ðαωᾔ❀❀❀ says

I really like your space now, it has had quite a transformation. You sure got the wall decor right over the sofa. I have the JCPenny version of the same furniture that is slip-covered and love that I can change the cover without purchasing a whole new room of furniture. I checked out Comfort Works, but they don't sell for my brand of furniture:(

24. anangloinquebec says

Ahh interesting. I have the Ektorp sofa and loveseat in our livingroom. I actually like the white but it doesn't always wash "evenly". This is certainly an interesting alternative. I am glad I saw this post. Thanks.

25. Jodi says

It's beautiful, Ann! I love the cream color too; I too think I would like that more than white. I love the piping too, it looks like it is very well made!

Your room looks so inviting and comfortable!

Jodi