Downton Abbey Season 2 Spoilers

Consider this your warning…this post contains teasers!

I’m not sure when it happened.
The “it” I’m referring to is my obsession
with all things Jane Austen-ish.
I think it may have been when I saw
Sense and Sensibility for the first time. The Emma Thompson version.

After that I bought every DVD of every version of anything Jane Austen.
My all time favorite is still this version of S & S.

Last year PBS ran a mini-series called Downton Abbey.
Not exactly Jane Austen and it takes place a little later in history.
But boy oh boy was it good.
It took America by storm and as a result
Season 2 will begin this Sunday, January 8th.
The wait is over.
(If you missed Season 1 you can download it on iTunes or pbs.org.)

On to the spoilers!

Here is the dashing Matthew (heir to the Downton estate) in uniform.
He obviously answered the call to fight.
Time is WWI.

Looks as though things might not have gone his way.
He appears to be wounded.

Here he is with a strange woman (not a part of Season 1)
and in a wheel chair?

Here is Lady Mary (daughter of the present Earl of Grantham) with a strange man.

Here she is with Matthew…obviously before the war injury.
I really, really want them to get together.
We need to get rid of the strange man and the strange woman first.

This is Lady Sybil.
The Earl’s youngest daughter
and a rebelish sort of girl.
Not sure who this guy is…maybe the chauffeur from last season?

Another obvious piece of the story.
Sybil joins the Red Cross…as a nurse I’m supposing?

Edith is the middle daughter.
Sort of a prig. I couldn’t find any real scoop
on her but she’s at the dinner table so I guess she’s in Season 2.

Lord Grantham with his daughters.
Quite a handsome but incredibly dysfunctional family.
Makes for a great story though.

This is Cora, American wife of Lord Grantham.
I couldn’t find anything on her either
but she’s at the same dinner table as Edith.
Not looking very happy.

Could this be why?
Is this a maid kissing Lord Grantham?

And where did this baby come from?

Speaking of maids, here is the lovely Anna with Mr. Bates.
Looks like a wedding bouquet to me.

Do Daisy and William get together?

Here are the girls.
I just had to include this because
I am in love with everything.
The hats.
The dresses.
The gloves.
The estate in the background.

There are a lot of other characters
both upstairs and downstairs, so to speak.
Season 2 is in seven parts so I imagine we will
find out what has happened to all of them.

You know where I’ll be on Sunday night.
I can hardly wait.

1. Kathryn Ferguson Griffin says

I love, love, love Downton Abbey! Some of the best tv around. Hope you're having a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

2. Anonymous says

I just read your post while my husband is watching episode 5 of series 2 of Downton Abbey that the children and myself watched earlier!! We bought the box set for ourselves over christmas and we are addicted. Then we need to watch the 2hour christmas special – yippee! Dont know what we will do untill the third series starts here (Ireland) in September. Lesley

3. Tammy@Beatrice Banks says

My daughter is a huge Jane Austen fan. I'll have to tell her about this series. Maybe I'll find time to watch it myself. Hope your new year is off to a great start and kuddos to you for keeping the faith on your dream! Keep believing!

4. At The Picket Fence says

I seriously cannot wait for the new season to start!! I couldn't believe how it ended so abruptly and they left us hanging for so long but I just love Downton Abbey and your little "spoilers" only made me more excited for it to premiere on Sunday! :-)
    Vanessa

5. Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage says

I'm right there with you concerning EVERYTHING Jane Austen, Ann! I've watched all of the movies I can find – in every version – and have even gotten hubby to watch with me…at least once, for each movie. ;)

Thanks for sharing your opinion about Downtown Abbey. We live so far out in the country that we get NO TV reception, so any such entertainment comes via the computer or rented movies. I'll have to see if that show is on Netflix.

Thanks for being a part of Time Travel Thursday last year. I hope you'll join the fun in 2012!

Happy New Year!
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

6. Debby says

I must say I have been addicted to these British miniseries since first watching All Creatures Great and Small many, many years ago. I too am anxiously awaiting series 2 of Downton Abbey. I recorded all of series 1 so I can watch them again this week. Now, if only the next series of Doc Martin would show up, although I have recently fallen in love with William & Mary. One series I wish would come back is the old Upstairs Downstairs. I have looked into purchasing it, but it is quite expensive. Oh well, maybe next Christmas. Thanks for a great post…one of my favorite subjects.

7. Babs says

OMGosh Ann, I'm a huge fan of Downton Abbey and of it's creator,Julian Fellowes. I remember him from Monarch of the Glen as Kilwillie. I was watching part one of Downton Abbely the other night, getting ready for the new season. Have set it to record, of course. Some of Maggie Smith's comments make me laugh…weekend? what's a weekend?
    Thanks for the reminder. Oh, and I'm a big Jane Austen fan, too.

8. Barbara Frake says

Hear, hear as the Brits would say. Love Downton Abbey and love your blog Ann. Would love to do (and see what others might do for a period tablescape. Then we could all put on our gloves and hats and proper dresses and have tea!

9. Karena says

Ann thank you so much for sharing I adore Downton Abbey!

Happy New Years to you and yours!

Please come and enter my Giveaway from Serena & Lily.

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

10. camp and cottage living says

Ann
    I'll be there too! I've been waiting all year for this. No Sunday night engagements for me for the next seven weeks. I think Matthew & lady Mary will get together. I'm so sad to see the Lord with someone other than Cora.
    The suspense will be over soon, I
    guess.

11. Heather says

Downton Abbey has been floating in our Recommended queue in Netflix. Then I heard a story about it on NPR, so I decided to check it out. LOVED IT! We devoured the first season in three settings. We don't have any cable service, so I might have to hook up the digital rabbit ears for Season 2!

12. Diane says

Love, love this show. I cheated a bit and watched Season 2 online….no worries will not let the cat out of the bag….. can tell you it is great! Can't wait for season 3! Diane

13. Kathleen says

I just saw season one yesterday as I was sick and bored to tears. I loved it, and I am not a fan of Brit/Royalty things. I think being Irish I see it differently!
    Anyway, I can't wait for next Sunday.

Glad Bates and Annie get together.
    I don't think that is Lord Grantham in the pic kissing. It better not be.
    And what of sleazy Thomas? Nothing on him?
    I don't know if I would wish Mary on anyone, she is not what I would want for Matthew! :)
    Ok back to reality!

14. Gina says

Oh Ann! I am sooo addicted to this Downton Abbey and it's absolutely killing me NOT to read this entire post! (Thanks for the spoiler alert.)

I seem to be in the same position as you. I don't know how it happened either. I remember watching Emma on PBS in 2010(?). I had to buy all the Jane Austen books & movies after that. I've become obsessed with anything similar. I watched Upstairs, Downstairs and South Riding when they were on PBS. I can't get enough.

15. Richard Cottrell says

Oh my, where did you get these? I am so excited to see the new series this Sunday Night. I have been watching the old ones for the 3rd time. I love it. Thanks for sharing. Watch with wide open eyes. Richard from My Old Historic House.

16. Lani Padilla says

Thank you so much for posting this. I LOVE Masterpiece Classics. I've started watching it online. Now that we have Netflix, though, I'll switch to that.
    Happy New Year!

17. Pondside says

Oh yes, Ann – I'm addicted to it too! I have the PVR all ready for the 8th in case I'm not at home. Like you, I am enthralled by the gloves, the hats, the dresses – it's all so elegant. I wish we could go to a thoughtful way of dressing – so tired of the cheap and cheerful that abounds.

18. Coastal Cottage Dreams says

Ann:

This series sounds great! Will have to see it! Thanks again for all of your help on the table runner that I am ordering from your shop. I can't wait to see it!

Your blog is such an inspiration to me!

Happy Monday!