This recipe for Triple Citrus Cookies first appeared on the lovely blog Positively Splendid. I’m featuring it here today just in case you missed it!
This is a basic sugar cookie revved up with the fresh zest of a lemon, lime and orange. When the zest was sitting there waiting to be added to the cookie batter, the smell was almost therapeutic. These are slightly crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside. I almost skipped the step of rolling the dough balls in a sugar/zest mixture.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter softened (3/4 c.)
- 1 1/2 c. sugar divided
- 1 egg
- 2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- Zest of one lemon, lime and orange
- On a piece of wax paper or a plate, finely zest the orange, lemon and lime.
- Mix 2 t. of mixed zest with 1/2 c. sugar and set aside.
- Combine butter and 1 c. sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix until creamy, about 2 min.
- Add egg.
- Add flour, baking powder and baking soda until well combined.
- Slowly add remaining zest.
- If your dough is dry, add 1 T. fresh lemon juice. Your dough should combine and form a ball. (I used 2 T. lemon juice.)
- Form 1 in. balls and roll each one in sugar/zest mixture.
- Slightly press each ball with the bottom of a glass to flatten just a bit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 – 11 min.
- Makes 3 dozen.
For more citrusy goodness try my Glazed Lemon Cakes…
or these hearty and healthy Orange Banana Breakfast Cookies.If you haven’t entered my Pfaltzgraff Rio giveaway there is still time. I’m announcing the winner tomorrow morning. The winner will receive 4 place settings of Rio which just happens to be the perfect shade of periwinkle blue!