Bittersweet and Burlap Wreath

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

Bittersweet and Burlap Fall Wreath You might remember the bones of this wreath from last month. What was once a lemon and burlap wreath is now a bittersweet and burlap wreath! I decided not to reinvent the wheel so I removed the lemons from the wreath base and added the pumpkins and bittersweet.

Bittersweet and Burlap Fall WreathWhat I thought would take a few minutes was actually a little tricky. I had to figure out how to attach the pumpkins after my original idea of using hot glue failed miserably. Once that was accomplished I started sticking the fresh bittersweet stems around the bow.

Bittersweet and Burlap WreathAt this point the berries starting popping off the stems. So…I had to re-group and figure out how to preserve the bittersweet stems in the next 5 minutes. My first thought was to try hair spray and actually that might have worked. Instead I found a can of satin sealer in my garage and used that instead.

How To Preserve Natural ElementsIt worked like a charm but if you try this make sure and spray outside. It was a bit stinky. Now that I had all my issues resolved I was able to hang the wreath on my door, stand back, and observe the fruits of my labor. Except for one thing. I really, really needed a new door mat.

Front Door Mat from The Company StoreI had recently received the fall catalog from The Company Store and remembered seeing fall door mats. I hopped online and ordered this one. It came in no time at all and it finished off my fall front door decor.

Fall Porch DecorAnd…since I can never leave well enough alone I added some fresh bittersweet to the ivy topiaries.

Ivy Topiary with BittersweetAs you can see some of the berries have popped and some are still green. I wound the bittersweet vines around the topiaries just after cutting so they would be pliable and easy to work with. Once the berries have all popped I’ll shoot each bunch with some sealer. Hopefully they will last until I’m ready to decorate for Christmas. Hopefully.

Fresh Bittersweet BerriesI’ll be back tomorrow with a little how-to just in case you want to add little pumpkins to a wreath of your own. They are the real thing so their weight was mostly the issue. (Sorta like me. ha!) If you want to get started here’s how to make a wreath and how to make the perfect bow.

There is no shortage of inspiration here On Sutton Place. Click the links below to visit my friends and see what they came up with for their front porches.

Fall Doors and Porches1.) Me! 2.) Debbiedoo’s   3.) Creative Cain Cabin   4.) Cottage at the Crossroads

Have the best week ever.

Linking to:

Savvy Southern Style

Cedar Hill Ranch

fall signature

Bittersweet and Burlap Fall Wreath

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+

1. Stacey says

Hi Ann! Wonderful decor! Absolutely love your site! Stumbled upon it on pinterest (I made your harvest burlap banner…looks wonderful on my mantle!) A question about wreaths…I was looking at your how-to-make-a-wreath and was wondering if you re-use a lot of your wreaths (obviously you did here)…just want to make my penny last longer and wondering if it was worth re-using! Thanks!

• Ann Drake says

Hi Stacey!
      Yes I reuse my wreaths all the time. I have 2 that I rotate. One is a bit bigger than the other. I usually leave the “background” the same…meaning whatever garland or greenery that’s the first thing on the wreath. For this bittersweet one it’s the rosemary garland. Every once in a while I take everything off and start from scratch but not very often! So…invest in 2 grapevine wreaths and wire them together. Then add a natural looking faux garland as your background. Then just be creative!

2. melissa says

Your house is beautiful and you have such a lovely flair for decorating! I have been looking for those tall black planters you have on either side of your door forever…can you tell me where you found yours? Thanks!

3. Cindy says

Your Fall wreath is beautiful, Ann, I love seeing the bittersweet used in Fall decors. It looks very lovely on your topiaries as well. I have only recently learned that bittersweet actually grows here! I was under the impression that it did not, so I will be on the hunt for some bittersweet for my garden!

4. Shelia says

Hi Ann! Oh, I love your wreath and will be looking forward to finding out how your poked the pumpkins in. The bittersweet is so pretty and glad you figured out how to save it. The mat is so pretty too. Thank you so much for popping in to see my little dolls.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

5. Carolyn G. says

Love your elegant fall touches…you always seem to achieve a sophisticated seasonal look. I admire how you use restraint and everything looks so lovely but you never go over the top with seasonal d├ęcor. I get many great ideas from your blog. Thanks!

6. Michele/Finch Rest says

Hi Ann, looks great – your efforts def. paid off!

So did you grow your own Bittersweet then or find it somewhere?

Hubs actually asked because I was saying how much the real McCoy looks – so thought I would bug ya to find out if you grew and how you grew if you did and if you didn’t where you found.

Thanks.

• Ann Drake says

Hey Michele! I grew the bittersweet myself. Every year when I post about it people comment that it’s invasive and kills trees. That’s the oriental version…I have the American version. I grow it up a fence but keep it under control by cutting it back every fall. I know birds carry the berries off and it may spread that way. I love it though and try to be as careful as possible. If you get some make sure it’s American. Thanks for stopping by!

7. Pamela Gordon says

Love your fall wreath and the new door mat Ann. I enjoyed visiting the other blogs and seeing their great fall decor too. We have a frost warning here tonight. I’ve covered up my perishables trying to hang on to summer but I do have some fall decor on the front deck. Blessings, Pam

8. Sarah says

Ann, thanks for sharing the tips. I love to use bittersweet in my fall decor. Too early for it here just yet because it has to be shipped into TX. I usually find it at Round Top Antiques Week or a local grocery store sometimes has it. Thanks for the tip on spraying it. Does that keep the berries from falling off? I have to be cautious now that we have a dog in the house. I read that bittersweet is poisonous to pets.
    Happy Fall ~ Sarah

• Mary Sue Weeks says

I would think twice about using bittersweet if you have pets. I was given a bittersweet wreath last year and several of the berries fell off on the floor. My kitty must have eaten some and she almost died. Cost me $700 in the kitty hospital, and the bittersweet is the only thing we could figure out she may have gotten in to. Also, the plant itself is very invasive and will wind itself around any shrub or tree and literally choke it. Use nice fake ones instead.

• Ann Drake says

I’m so sorry about your kitty. My little dog wouldn’t eat a berry even if any popped off…which when they did I picked them up right away. The spray sealer helped cement them to the stem. I’ve been told before how invasive bittersweet is. I don’t have a problem. When I cut it in the fall, I cut the whole vine back to keep it in control. I try to use natural elements whenever I can in my decor and I have to admit that I love my bittersweet!

• Ann Drake says

Yes Sarah the spray sealer helps cement the berries to the stems. From what I understand there are 2 kinds of bittersweet. American and Oriental. The oriental is very invasive and the vines have thorns. American bittersweet is not as invasive and the vines are smooth (no thorns.) I have the American version.
      I know it’s a controversial plant. I love it though and I take care of it by cutting it back every fall. If I see creepers I pull them out. I am not sure if it’s poisonous or not…but my dog wouldn’t eat a berry even if she found one. Just be careful with your berries and all should be well. Thanks for stopping by!