This recipe ended up being quite a pleasant surprise…because at first I really had my doubts! I promised to find some healthy, low cal recipes for you…but the honest truth is that it’s been a challenge. My brain just doesn’t wrap around a muffin with no butter or oil! Seriously, these easy bran muffins are hearty and filling. They are not overly sweet but the texture really makes up for that. I used pomegranate Craisins instead of raisins and that helps to add a burst of extra sweetness.
All Bran Cereal comes in these little buds and they work great in recipes. The batter isn’t thick so it’s very easy to pour into the muffin cups. I had enough batter to fill the cups almost to the rim. I’m not sure what it would do to the calorie count, but I’m pretty sure you could substitute oatmeal for the all bran as well as whole wheat flour for the white flour. This is a great recipe to use as a base, and add ingredients that you have on hand or that you know your family likes.
- 2 cups all bran cereal
- 1 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup craisins or raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine all bran cereal and milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, egg whites, vanilla and applesauce. Combine well.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Mix all together.
- Add craisins and almonds.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 - 17 minutes.
- Optional additions: 1 ripe banana or zest of a lemon. 1/2 cup shredded carrots.
- This recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins.
- I prepare my baking pans with Baker's Joy.
It felt very good to be in my kitchen with something baking in the oven. Like many times before, I read your comments on my last post through tears. Many of you have been in my shoes and I can’t tell you how comforting it is to know that I’m not alone. Even though things around here are sometimes out of sorts, I have pieces of days that feel normal. Those pieces are because of this blog and all of you. My heart is filled with gratitude.
I’ll see you soon…
In case you aren’t interested in the bran muffins…here’s a few healthyish alternatives.