It never fails to amaze me how one simple ingredient can take a recipe to a whole new level. These lavender shortbread cookies are so easy and with just six ingredients they can be whipped up in no time. Shortbread cookies are pretty perfect on their own…but adding a twist is really fun. In this case, the twist is fresh lavender buds. Just two teaspoons mixed in with the sugar is all you need.
I had never tasted anything made with lavender except Herbes de Provence…and in that the lavender is combined with other herbs so you don’t get the full-on taste. When I was trying to think of how to describe the taste of lavender, the only thing I could come up with is that it tastes like it smells. Fresh and lovely. When you take that first bite, it’s such an interesting experience. I seriously have not ever tasted anything like it.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons food grade lavender buds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping cup of powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a small food processor or blender, pulse sugar and lavender buds several times.
- In a large mixing bowl, or bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter, sugar/lavender mixture and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add the flour, one cup at a time, mixing well between. Add salt and mix one last time.
- Put the dough out on to a floured surface. Knead it a few times until it comes together.
- Shape into a circle and roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies using any shape cutter and place on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat this process until all the dough is used.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until the bottoms are golden.
- Cool completely.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over cooled cookies.
- I used a 3 inch round cutter and got 16 cookies.
If you don’t want to roll and cut out cookies, the dough could be shaped into a log and refrigerated…then it could be sliced and baked. A little lavender sanding sugar on top of the glaze would be very pretty too.
If you don’t have lavender on hand, the best place to find it is online. Here are links to some handy sources:
If you aren’t sure about ordering lavender just for these cookies, I am going to be sharing a lavender sugar scrub and also lavender lemonade. The lemonade is made with a simple syrup and is maybe the freshest tasting drink I have ever had. Soon it will be warm enough to sit on our porches and sip that lavender lemonade. Personally, I can’t wait.
Just click the images for more Shortbread Inspiration!
Thanks for stopping by…see you soon!
*On Sutton Place is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate
advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees, at no
additional cost to you, by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.