One of the things on my gigantic to-do list is sorting through and organizing the recipes in my recipe box. Yes…I still have a recipe box. I could never give it up. The other day I was looking for a certain recipe and came across this one for 5 Layer Cookie Bars. It caught my attention because even though it was in my handwriting, the “recipe from the kitchen of” space said Mom. That instantly put a lump in my throat so I put the card in the “to make soon” pile. I so wish my Mom had written it out…but just the fact that it was her recipe makes it special. The ingredients are easy and it took less than 10 minutes from start to in the oven. Oh…and these bars are AMAZING!
5 Layer Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick very soft)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and butter until tiny crumbs form. Use a pastry blender or your fingers.
- Press the cake mix mixture into a 9 x 13 glass pan.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and walnuts.
- Drizzle the can of sweetened condensed milk over entire pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely. Cut into bars.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
My advice would be to cut these into small squares because they are very rich…you sure don’t need a big one! This would be a great dish to take to a party or picnic where you need to serve a crowd. Even though the recipe says to cool completely before cutting, I cheated and had one when it was still warm. I highly recommend doing just that!
Wishing you a wonderful day…