One of the things on my gigantic to-do list is sorting through and organizing the recipes in my recipe box. Yes…I still have a recipe box. I could never give it up. The other day I was looking for a certain recipe and came across this one for 5 Layer Cookie Bars. It caught my attention because even though it was in my handwriting, the “recipe from the kitchen of” space said Mom. That instantly put a lump in my throat so I put the card in the “to make soon” pile. I so wish my Mom had written it out…but just the fact that it was her recipe makes it special. The ingredients are easy and it took less than 10 minutes from start to in the oven. Oh…and these bars are AMAZING!
5 Layer Cookie Bars
- One white cake mix
- 1 stick butter very soft
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- 1 c. walnuts
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Mix the cake mix and butter until tiny crumbs form.
- Press into a 9 x 13 glass pan.
- Top with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and walnuts.
- Drizzle can of sweetened condensed milk over entire pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely. Cut into bars.
My advice would be to cut these into small squares because they are very rich…you sure don’t need a big one! This would be a great dish to take to a party or picnic where you need to serve a crowd. Even though the recipe says to cool completely before cutting, I cheated and had one when it was still warm. I highly recommend doing just that!
Wishing you a wonderful day…