Make this 7 ingredient easy summer salad recipe for fun lunches or simple suppers. Tosses together in just minutes, and is full of texture and flavor!
When my kids were young, it had a different feeling than it does now. When they were really little, our days were filled with trips to the pool, long naps, and evening bike rides. As they got older, we spent the days traveling to sports camps, practices, and summer jobs. Always busy, but the actual elements of summer changed as my family grew.
There were three constant elements though, and even though my kids are grown and gone, these elements still remain. Family, fun, and food. Summer is the time to kick back a bit, eat a little lighter, and limit your time in the kitchen. This 7 ingredient easy summer salad recipe helps with all of those things. It was inspired by a beach lunch we enjoyed on a Florida vacation we took a few years ago. It’s easy, quick, and the ingredients just go together so well.
Summer Salad Recipe Substitutions
As with any salad recipe, the ingredients and amounts can be adapted to fit your needs.
- When serving this summer salad recipe as a side dish, the ingredient amounts listed in the recipe card will feed 4 people. By adding your favorite protein, it can be served as a main course, and will feed 2 people.
- Using bagged shredded lettuce is convenient and quick, but any kind of lettuce can be used. Romaine or iceberg lettuce would be good substitutions.
The Mandarin Oranges
- Canned mandarin oranges are delicious, but naval orange slices, or clementine orange slices would be equally as good. The individual cups of mandarin oranges are convenient, and they allow you to use only what is needed, instead of opening a big can.
- The key ingredient in this summer salad recipe is the mandarin oranges…so I never skip them. However, the other ingredients can be adapted to fit your family’s tastes. We also love the red onion, but I realize many people don’t share that love! Sweet onion can be substituted, or it can simply be left out.
- The almonds can be added right out of the bag…or you can lightly roast them on your stovetop. Just add 1/3 cup of almonds to a small skillet. (No oil is needed.) Use medium heat, and watch them closely. Shake the skillet often, so the almonds are evenly roasted. The almonds take about 3 to 4 minutes to roast, and are done when they are fragrant and slightly browned.
7 Ingredient Summer Salad Recipe
- 2 cups shredded lettuce (or finely chopped romaine)
- 15 grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Red onion finely chopped (as much or as little as you want)
- 1 cup mandarin oranges (drained)
- dressing of your choice
- Mix first 7 ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Top with your favorite dressing and serve.
If you make this summer salad recipe, and love it, I would be very grateful if you came back and left a 5-star review. It would help me so much!
Summer Salad Tools:
Thanks for stopping by…