Fresh and easy Honeycrisp apple salad recipe that can be made in a just a few minutes. The perfect side dish for any lunch or dinner!
This post was first published in 2013. It has been completely updated with new images and more information.
I’m sharing this Honeycrisp apple salad recipe today in honor of my mom. When my mom was cooking for our family of six, she made this quite a bit, and it was always a treat. As some of you may remember, my mom was diagnosed with dementia in 2009, and passed away in 2016. When she first began showing signs of her illness, my dad began to spend time in the kitchen with her, and she taught him how to make some of their favorite dishes. Over the years since then, he has simplified many of the recipes to make things easier, as is the case with this apple salad. This Honeycrisp apple salad is actually my dad’s version, and it has such a fresh taste. I tend to make more apple recipes in the fall, but not this one. This apple salad is delicious any time of the year!
Tips for Making Honeycrisp Apple Salad
- It’s a personal decision whether or not to peel the apples before adding them to the salad. I love the skin, and it adds great color and texture to the dish.
- This honeycrisp apple salad is best served immediately after the refrigeration time. It won’t keep overnight, so make sure to eat it all!
- Any kind of apples can be used…just use what you have on hand, or your favorite. Some other good choices are Gala, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, or Fuji. It’s also delicious to use a mix of different types of apples.
- In my family, the celery and walnuts are not optional! Other good add-ins are raisins, dried cranberries, or other types of nuts such as sliced almonds, pecans, or lightly salted peanuts.
- Miracle Whip or regular mayonnaise can be substituted for the light mayonnaise, however the taste of the salad will change accordingly.
What You Need to Make Honeycrisp Apple Salad
The right tools make spending time in the kitchen much more productive and enjoyable!
Honeycrisp Apple Salad Recipe
- 2 large apples (washed and diced)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- Place the chopped apples, celery and walnuts in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir the light mayonnaise and sugar until smooth.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture over apples/celery/walnuts and toss until well combined.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
Making this Honeycrisp apple salad recipe brings back such good memories, and it always reminds me of times gone by. For a few years after my mom passed away, I could only think of her as she was when she was ill. I wasn’t capable of remembering back before that. Those days are gone, and now I remember my mom as she really was. Fun, loving, caring, and one of the best cooks ever!
If you make this recipe, and love it, please consider coming back and leaving a 5 star rating. It would help me so much, and I would truly appreciate it. Thank you!
More Delicious Apple Recipes!
- Small Batch Crockpot Applesauce
- Apple Walnut Bread
- Skillet Honeycrisp Apple Cobbler
- Honeycrisp Apple and Romaine Salad