Happy Sunday! I’m here today with my first ever blog pie recipe. Drumroll please. I’m generally not a pie maker. I’m good at cookies and great at quick breads, but pies? Not so much. So…when I discovered slab pies I got a little excited. This apple slab pie is easy, fresh and even if you are pie-crust-challenged, I promise you can do this.
This crust is very forgiving. It calls for butter and mixing it together is a little messy but very easy. The best part is you don’t need to worry about the size of your rolled out crust. Just roll it to fit your pan. If you like a thick crust, use a smaller pan.
Apple Slab Pie
- 3 c. chopped apples
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 4 T. butter
- 2 c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 2 T. sugar
- 2 t. salt
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 c. milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine chopped apples, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers. The dough will be shaggy.
- Slowly add milk/cream until dough holds together and is manageable.
- Put dough out onto floured surface and divide in half.
- Set one half aside and roll out the other half using flour as needed so the dough doesn't stick.
- The rolled out shape doesn't have to be perfect...just make it fit your baking sheet.
- Lay rolled out dough on the cookie sheet.
- Top dough with apple mixture and dot with butter.
- Repeat rolling process with second half of dough.
- Lay over apples and seal the edges. Cut 3 slices in top for steam to escape.
- Bake for 40 min.
The texture of this pie crust is wonderful. The baking powder makes it puff up and it’s very airy. This is one of those recipes that would be perfect served warm…with ice cream or even whipped cream. This is also one of those recipes that had I not given part of it away, I would have eaten the whole thing. Really.
I’ve got all my fall items finally listed in my Etsy shop. I’ll be back in a day or so with a quick rundown. Mostly pillow covers in a variety of fabrics with custom embroidery. See you then…thanks for stopping by!