Make these DIY Flavored Sugar Recipes for holiday gift giving. Includes recipes for vanilla and cinnamon sugar. Use in drinks and recipes.
One of my favorite things to add to a homemade gift basket is cinnamon or vanilla sugar. Both DIY flavored sugar recipes are super easy to make and when packaged in a shaker bottle, add a custom touch to your gift. Read on for simple tips and directions.
*Some links lead to websites where I am an affiliate. Click HERE for my complete disclosure.
Vanilla Sugar Recipe
2 cups sugar
2 Grade A vanilla beans
- Put the sugar in the bowl of a small food processor. Split the vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape out the inside of the pods with a sharp knife. Add the scraped vanilla to the sugar. Combine until the vanilla is mixed in well.
- Pour into glass shaker jars using a funnel, and add a vanilla bean to each jar. You may have to cut the beans in half to fit inside the jar. OR pour all the sugar into an airtight container and use for baking. Make sure to add a vanilla bean or two to the container.
How to Scrape a Vanilla Bean
Vanilla beans can be found at specialty grocery stores, spice stores or online. They are usually marked by a “grade.” Grade A being the best, Grade B being a bit dryer and so on. Grade A vanilla beans are the easiest to scrape so I highly recommend splurging on the higher grade. To scrape a vanilla bean pod, place it on a cutting board. With a very sharp knife, slice it down the side. Place a finger on the pod as you slice to hold it firmly in place. Open the pod and scrape the insides with the knife. It will look like a dark, sticky clump. This clump of flavorful goodness is what you will add to your recipes!
Uses for vanilla sugar:
- Substitute for regular sugar and vanilla in any recipe that calls for both.
- Sprinkle on buttered toast or oatmeal.
- Use in coffee, tea or fruit infused water.
Cinnamon Sugar Recipe
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Whisk sugar and cinnamon together until completely combined. Pour into glass shaker jars using a funnel, and add a cinnamon stick to each jar. You may have to break the sticks in half to fit inside the jar. OR pour all the sugar into an airtight container and use for baking or on buttered toast. Make sure to add a cinnamon stick or two to the container.
Click HERE for a printable copy of the recipes.
Click HERE for printable tags.
DIY Flavored Sugar Recipes
Click the arrows to scroll and shop!