In this post: Easy Apple Buckle recipe that’s made with your favorite apple variety. Can easily be doubled for a party or family gathering!
I’m back today with a super easy Apple Buckle recipe. If you’re thinking to yourself, “What the heck is a buckle?” I have the answer. Just think crisp or cobbler. They are all basically the same thing with slight ingredient differences. Buckles usually have an egg in the topping where a crisp does not. Then again…somewhere out there I’m sure there’s a buckle recipe that doesn’t call for an egg in the topping. You just never know.
The variety of apples you use is totally a personal choice. Tart apples are not my favorite so for this recipe I used the variety “Gala.” They baked easily yet were not mushy. There’s nothing worse than a mushy fruit dessert (in my opinion!) Another really good choice would be Honeycrisp. I can eat a Honeycrisp apple every day. They are so good and the perfect balance of tart and sweet. I did not peel my apples either…but that’s a personal choice. If you like peeled apples in your buckle, go for it!
This easy apple buckle recipe fits nicely in an 8 inch or 9 inch square pan. It also fills my ruffled baking dish perfectly!
Easy Apple Buckle Recipe
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 stick butter melted (1/2 cup) if using salted butter you can use 1/4 t. salt
- 3 large apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash, core, and slice apples.
- Spread apples in an 8 x 8 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a standing mixer, add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Begin mixing on the lowest speed. Slowly add the beaten egg.
- Mix until the dough resembles very course sand.
- Spread topping over apples.
- Pour melted butter over top.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm.
This is the perfect dessert for a family dinner or gathering. With an adjusted baking time, this recipe could easily be doubled to feed a crowd. Of course, if you time it right and serve it warm, adding ice cream would be truly amazing!
Fall has arrived and it’s time to embrace the season. One of the ways to do that is to start making all your “comfort food” favorites, including this easy apple buckle recipe. So head to the kitchen…make a pot of soup, pair it with some crusty bread, and bake an apple buckle. Your family will think you are wonderful!
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.