I hope you aren’t tired of dessert recipes because I seem to be on a roll! Today I’m sharing my Mom’s pie crust recipe and her amazing peach pie filling. There is really nothing better than a fresh peach pie. With ice cream of course! I used to be very intimidated at even the thought of making pie crust. As I got older, I just started doing it and didn’t worry about perfection. If my crust broke, I just pressed it back together. If my filling ran over, I learned to put a cookie sheet under the pie pan so at least I didn’t have to clean my oven! Pie crust doesn’t have to look beautiful to taste wonderful.
My Mom always peeled her peaches. I actually like the skin of a peach so I do not peel mine. If you slice them thin enough the skin is hardly noticeable. I also put my peaches in a brown paper bag for a few days so they ripen a bit before I use them in a pie. The pit comes out much easier that way.
Fresh Peach Pie
For two 9 in. crusts
- 2 c. flour
- 2/3 c. Crisco
- 3/4 t. salt
- ice water
For the filling
- 6 medium peaches
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 t. cinnamon
Make the crust first
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl cut the Crisco into the flour/salt mixture with a pastry blender. I use the Crisco blocks and cut it into chunks. Mix until all Crisco is incorporated.
- Add ice water, 1 T. at a time, and stir with a fork. Add water to moisten the flour until it forms a ball. Cover the bowl with a towel and let rest 15 min.
While dough is resting
- Wash, pit and thinly slice the peaches.
- Put peaches in a large bowl and add sugar, 1/4 c. flour and cinnamon. Mix well.
To make the crusts
- Cut dough ball in half with a sharp knife. Working with one half of dough, form a disc and lay on a floured surface. Gently roll out dough to desired shape. Put into pie pan.
- Add peach filling to the bottom crust. With your finger, gently wet the edges of the bottom crust so a seal will form when the top crust is added.
- Roll out second half of dough. Lay over your pie filling. Trim edges if needed. Roll edges under and flute with a fork or your fingers.
- Cut slits in the top crust.
- Place pie pan on a cookie sheet and place in pre-heated oven.
- Loosely lay a piece of foil over the whole pie.
- Bake for 30 min.
- Remove foil and bake for 15 min. more or until edges are just golden brown.
- Optional: Brush top of pie with milk and sprinkle with sugar before baking.