Last week when I was at my Dad’s for dinner, he told me he had something for me. When he says this I never know what I’m going to get. The past few years he has tried to “clear out” drawers, cabinets and closets. It’s a slow but steady job and he really is making progress. Anyway, he handed me a large envelope that he found in one of my Mom’s desk drawers. It was full of random recipes. Some were cut from magazines or newspapers, some were hand written on scrap paper or envelopes, most were very old. As I was looking through them, I came across a yellowed, torn piece of newspaper that said “$25,000 Apple Squares.” It looked easy and it called for sour cream which, in my opinion, makes any recipe amazing. I was not disappointed. These bars are so simple yet so good and they totally live up to their $25,000 title!
Homemade Apple Bars
- 2 c. flour
- 2 c. brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 in t. salt cuthalf if you use salted butter
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 c. chopped apples about 2 medium
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, brown sugar and butter.
- Mix on low until incorporated. Will look like fine crumbles.
- Stir in chopped nuts.
- Press 3 c. of the flour mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 pan.
To remaining mixture add
- Cinnamon, soda, salt, sour cream, egg and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Fold in apples.
- Pour evenly over base.
- Bake 30 - 35 min. until nicely browned. A knife inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Cut into squares.
I’ll be back tomorrow with a little Fall Wreath Inspiration.