Welcome to February and the new fresh flavor of the month…Orange. I know I’m a few days late but I had a hard time deciding. In the end I went with another citrus because I enjoyed the lemons of January so much. I have a variety of recipes to share including a main dish, of course some desserts and today’s recipe, Orange Banana Breakfast Cookies.
The only thing I didn’t have on hand was the whole wheat flour and the orange. It’s not necessary to use two different flours if you don’t have them in your pantry. I have used different flours in this recipe and the cookies always come out great. My favorite so far is the combo of 1 cup of whole grain oat flour and 1 cup of regular flour.
Orange Banana Breakfast Cookies
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t. salt omit if you use salted butter
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. baking soda
- 3/4 c. softened butter
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 banana very ripe and chunked into pieces
- 1 T. fresh orange zest
- 1/4 - 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla, orange zest and banana.
- In one batch, add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in nuts.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop rounds of dough onto baking sheet.
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes until edges are lightly golden brown.
- Cool on cooling racks.
The original recipe (I’m sorry but I have no idea where it came from) called for 1/4 c. old fashioned oats. If you wanted to add those just leave out 1/4 c. of one of the flours.
Thanks for stopping by!
Click to see more Citrus Recipes.
Love chocolate? Click to see all my Chocolate Recipes!