Here in the Midwest, it’s not strawberry season…but it’s just around the corner so I wanted to share a few more strawberry recipes to add to your collection. This Strawberry Crumble is easy and quick enough that you could serve it warm for dessert. I put it together in the afternoon and baked it during dinner. It was warm and fresh when I dished it up. Yummy too. Here it is ready to go in the oven.
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries cleaned and sliced
- 1/3 c. sliced almonds
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 t. vanilla
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 3 T. cold butter diced
- 2 T. quick oats
- 1/3 c. sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 in. pie plate with cooking spray.
- Place cleaned and sliced strawberries in the dish.
- Top with sliced almonds, 1/4 c. sugar and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk flour and baking powder.
- Add diced butter and mix together with your fingers.
- (It goes quicker if you use both hands.)
- Add oats and sugar. Whisk.
- Pour topping on top of strawberries in pie plate.
- Pat down with your fingers.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top should be golden and sides bubbling.
- Cool at least 15 min. before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
I put a notation in the printable recipe that it’s fine to leave out the almonds. They added a little crunch but the topping is tasty enough that I don’t think you would miss the almonds. If you are feeding a crowd, it would be a cinch to double the recipe and bake it in a 9 x 13 pan. You might want to get a helper to clean the strawberries though!
We had snow this week here in Ohio, but I am hoping it was the last. My grass is beginning to turn green although it hasn’t grown much. I lost 3 big boxwood but so far I think they are the only casualty of the winter. It was a winter like no other I can remember. Almost on a daily basis, I said a prayer of thanks for my work-from-home situation. I wasn’t forced to go out when it was -30 and I am beyond grateful for that. Once again, I thank you all for your support of my blog.