Your weekly dose of new ideas, helpful hints, favorite items, and tidbits of wisdom.
A huge thank you to everyone who wrote or left a comment on our first post last week! We loved getting your feedback…and hope to refine this series so it meets everyone’s needs. Keep the suggestions coming!
Yvonne | Stone Gable
- This week let’s go outdoors! Do you eat outside? I love to set a pretty table. And I’ve found amazing melamine dishes that won’t break and look gorgeous here, here, and this darling picnic basket with place setting for four here.
- And make sure you check out Beautiful Outdoor Dining Ideas. I like to set up an outdoor bar cart with food or libations. Here are a few pretty acrylic drink glasses and wine glasses. And here is my favorite and reasonably priced tray to carry things outside.
- This amazing fire pit turns into an outdoor coffee table when not in use. It’s on sale right now. We have these marshmallow skewers and this fun pie/sandwich maker.
- If you make one wonderful dish when you dine outdoors this summer make this show stopper (and so easy) Zucchini Ribbon Salad With Balsamic Glaze.
- I’m looking at this projector for outdoor movie night. I am so excited about having a family movie night outside. One of my little grandkid’s favorite movies is Sing. And the grown-ups love it too. Here are some oldie but goodie kid-approved movies here and here.
- A few of my favorite little things I have and love… my favorite summer perfume, my favorite body wash, my favorite reasonably priced gold bangle (LOVE), the best non-sticky hairspray, my favorite body lotion, favorite reading glasses, the best whole food supplements, and the beautiful devotional I’m reading right now.
- Do you forget to take your reusable shopping bags into the grocery store? I leave them in the car all the time! Let me know what your best tip for remembering them! Look at these pretty bags here, here, and an insulated bag here. Remember to clean your bags. They get dirty too!
- A recent new family hobby is camping. You can see our camper here. The video is so weird but you can see my style of camping! Bobby is in his element when we go camping. I like to go camping now because I have air conditioning and can plug in my blow dryer and hair setter. When the weather drives us inside we play this, this, and this (my fav).
- I love tending my summer container gardens. Here are my favorite garden snips, the best self-watering planter, and my gardening apron where I stick deadheaded blooms in the pocket! You can read about how to grow Container Gardens here.
- Next week let’s chat about more fun hobbies, and organizing!
Lory | Designthusiasm
1. It’s been a busy week on the blog with the most time consuming thing being the redesign of my blog itself. It’s finally done and I’m very happy with it, but there are still things to tweak, so if you have any user suggestions, please let me know. Since most of you come over by clicking on an email, you may not even see my home page. You can see the new design here: Home Page.
2. Do you enjoy candles? Much like flowers, you’re either a person who spends on this or you’re not. I’m very driven by beautiful scents, so I’m one who indulges. My faves are this Nest candle, this Diptyque candle and this soothing spa candle. I love having a candle wardrobe and I light them often!
3. One of my favorite design styles is rustic chic, a mix of rugged country with European elegance. You can see some great examples on this Pinterest board. Think stone walls, wood beams, lots of white and gilded mirrors.
4. While it’s nice to start looking at new clothes again, the truth is this is what I wore for the past year and I didn’t hate it. In fact, I’m not sure I’m ready for constructed pants. Do I even remember what a zipper is? Extra love for the phone pocket!
5. Three kitchens I’m crazy for: this one is a great mix of white, black, wood and brass, this French stunner is the ultimate in rustic chic, and this classic white kitchen is an all time fave for it’s unique cabinets.
6. Have you all been watching Stanley Tucci’s series Searching for Italy? What a sheer joy it’s been to watch when we couldn’t travel (or even go outside)!
7. Did you know I’m obsessed with organization and productivity books? Here are my 3 recent faves: Atomic Habits, and Free to Focus, and The Power of Habit. If you know of any other good ones, please leave them in the comments. I can’t get enough of these!
8. Another clean food crush from @cleanfoodcrush because I’m always looking for delicious chicken dishes.
9. This week on the blog I had more to say about summer. I shared these printable mason jar labels, and this colorful tablescape with summer flowers. We also looked at mid-century pastels in summer decor and creative ways to keep your kitchen counters organized.
10. Upcoming big project: I’m looking to re-do our entryway floor and I’d love your suggestions. Right now the space has bland ceramic tile. I’d love marble but not sure about the cost. It’s a pretty big space because it leads into a hallway to the back door. Here’s what it looks like now. Ideas welcome!
Ann | On Sutton Place
- Right now, I am struggling to find anything good to watch on TV. As a result, I tend to roam around the movie channels looking for something new. When I can’t find anything, I end up watching something I’ve seen before! Some favorites on Netflix are The English Game, Sweet Magnolias, and The Queen’s Gambit. Some good documentaries, also on Netflix, are Challenger: The Final Flight, 7 Yards, and Audrey. (Yes…it’s about Audrey Hepburn. What a beautiful person, both inside and out.)
- I completely missed peony season this year. I left to spend two weeks with my grandchildren (which was wonderful) on Memorial Day, and the peonies were just beginning to open. Before I left, I got a few pictures with my iPhone, but that’s it. By the time I got home, they were completely spent. But I’m forging ahead, and sprucing up the rest of my garden. I got this darling little birdhouse, and splurged on this garden weathervane. I love them both!
- FAVORITE BLOG ALERT: Inspired by Charm by Michael Wurm. It’s a treasure trove of amazing recipes, stunning decor, seasonal ideas, and so much more. He lives in Pennsylvania, and owns an older home that’s he’s renovating room by room. I could literally move into his kitchen and be perfectly happy. Take a look…you won’t be disappointed!
- I’m always up for a good appetizer recipe, and this one looks amazing. Who doesn’t love pigs in a blanket?
- So who wants thicker eyebrows? (I’m raising my hand!) Even though I don’t wear much makeup, when I started filling in my brows, it was a game-changer. It really made a difference, especially since I wear glasses. This is my favorite brow powder, (I use taupe) and this brush works beautifully.
- I haven’t seen it in person, but I’m told that Hobby Lobby has their fall items on the shelves. Not sure about you, but it’s too early for me!
- Do you remember poke cakes? This lemon poke cake recipe looks super easy…and so good!
- You all know how I love porches…and I adore a good porch makeover. Check out this full exterior makeover, and make sure to notice the porch details. It’s definitely a case of drab to fab, and one of the most extreme makeovers I’ve ever seen!
- It’s been busy on the blog, which is definitely a good thing! I just shared our new patio dining set, and a recipe for delicious homemade lemon ice cream.
- That’s it for now…thank you!