Your weekly dose of new ideas, helpful hints, favorite items, and tidbits of wisdom…from a trio of lifestyle bloggers who love to share!
Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Yvonne | StoneGable
1. Are you in the Christmas spirit? Or is it a bit early? But it’s not too early to think about things you need to get done. And the later we start thinking and planning for this year’s Christmas the more rushed we will be! Here are 10 Things To Do Now For Christmas.
2. Since we are on the subject of Christmas, let’s talk decor! I love this beautiful and full garland, and this pre-lit white garland. I just got this mirrored tray for Christmas decorations and this darling Christmas doormat. I LOVE this bell candle too and these reindeer stocking holders, and these glass hurricane lanterns.
3. Fun and useless facts for the week: Did you know that shopping malls are deliberately designed to disorient you so you get lost? This disorientation is called Gruen transfer. Hmmmm, I wonder what losing your car in a mall parking lot is called! On a totally different subject, what should you do if you are attacked by an alligator and he has you gripped in his mouth? See answer at the end of my list.
4. One of my go-to decorating items happens to also be the best place to store things. Here are some of my favorite baskets… this great handled basket, and this oval tray I use for vignettes. I have lots and lots of baskets from this collection, and this pretty and smart serving tray basket. You can see 5 Easy Ways To Decorate With Baskets here.
5. Here’s what’s on my reading list: Spiritual Disciplines and my blogging friend Julie who is staying with me for the week and gave me When Strivings Cease by Ruth Chou Simmons (LOVE)! I also can recommend House Rules by Jodi Picoult, and The Kitchen House by Katherine Grissom.
6. This reminds me not to gossip about the foibles of others…” above all keep loving one another earnestly since love covers a multitude of sins”. 1 Peter 4:8
7. We often eat soup and crusty bread for dinner. YUM! Many of the soups I make are so filling and can be eaten as a meal. Here are some of our favorites… Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, The Best Loaded Potato Soup, Nani’s Pork And Cabbage Soup (my favorite), and Hearty Bacon And Cheeseburger Soup. Our favorite soup bowls are Here and Here. I also like these and these.
8. Right now my hall closet is a bit messy! I need a little organization. Here’s what might help. I really like this video and all the ideas for getting the most out of a small area. Here are the cubicles. And cute cloth bins here, here, and here. I’m planning on doing closet organizing post in January.
9. I need to replace my napkins. Many of them look so tired! Here’s what I have found… these pretty floral napkins, these stylized design napkins, these double sided paisley napkins, these blue and white reversible napins, and these geometric reversible napkins.
10. Do you have a collection? I’m not much of a collector but I am wild about Christmas trees! Here are some I have and some I would love to get… these Scandi style trees, and these gold trees. I use these paper trees every year, and these green and white trees.
Answer to 3# If you are attacked by an alligator stick your fingers in his eyeballs and that will loosen his grip. Now you know!
Lory | Designthusiasm
1. This week I shared my first holiday decor post of the season and it was so much fun playing with some of the new things I got, including a few vintage pieces. I’ve been collecting these timeworn items for years and I just love integrating them into my decor. You can see the mix of new and old in my Christmas kitchen.
2. I’m deeply immersed in updating my holiday decor and I wanted to share a few items I’ve purchased besides the decor guide I shared last week. I’m really tapping into that retro vintage feel, so I bought these wonderful vintage-inspired mercury glass ornaments, these pretty embellished bottle brush trees, this perfectly sized indoor wreath, this sweet Belsnickle Santa, these mini ornaments, these faux cedar picks, this faux cedar garland, and these faux paperwhites.
3. I realize I’m late to the party, but we just started watching Succession and I just love it. We started at Season 1 and are only a few episodes in, and it took me a bit to warm up to the fact that there is no character I will root for, but instead the fun is in the quirky humor and sheer audacity of the characters’ actions.
4. You probably already know that puffer coats are back and in the most delicious range of colors. Loving this gorgeous vibrant shade and this lovely icy tone, as well as this flattering hue. (All three come in more sedate colors, as well.) Also trending in outerwear: the camel coat. This one is a wonderful double breasted style (and a great sale price), here’s a belted option that’s elegant and stylish, and here’s a classic one button style.
5. WHAT’S INSPIRING ME AROUND THE WEB: My gosh if this isn’t just the perfect setting for a bedroom with a view. I’m also loving this wonderful light and bright laundry room and this lovely bath vanity with all the fabulous details that make it work.
6. I’m crazy about the light wood trend in decor and furniture and love the organic look it brings to a room. See it in this wonderful console table, these fabulous round bread boards, this terrific bowl (at a great price), and these sleek but comfy occasional chairs. Also loving this awesome trough centerpiece.
7. Long before there was Marie Kondo, my absolute favorite organizing book was Julie Morgenstern’s “Organizing from the Inside Out”. It’s simple, straightforward and logical, which is why it works and why I still love it.
8. I so enjoy the pleasure of little luxuries, especially in the bath, and I’ve come to appreciate several yummy products. My favorites are this aromatic bubble bath, this luxe body lotion, these delightfully scented soaps and this amazing hand cream that I first discovered on a visit to Israel.
9. This week on the blog I shared this holiday mantel with a lovely garland, decorating with rose gold for the holidays, these three romantic Christmas wreath art printables, and this closet makeover for seasonal decor storage.
10. Up next: The little bathroom makeover is just about done but I’m waiting for a few little accessories before I’m ready to post the reveal. Coming soon!
Ann | On Sutton Place
1.) When it comes to essential tools for cleaning, I’ve decided that from now on, I’m going to get the best-looking ones available. Whoever said that our brooms and mops have to be ugly? I love tools with natural wooden handles, like this hand broom, and this long broom. This feather duster is functional and pretty at the same time. I just replaced my awful plastic dustpan with this sturdy metal one. This wool dry mop has over 700 5-star ratings on Amazon…and I think it would look lovely hanging in my (or your) garage!
2.) If you are an I Love Lucy fan…get ready for this: A new movie is coming to Amazon Prime called “Being the Ricardos.” The trailer description is short, and simply says this: “You know Lucy and Ricky. Now it’s time to meet Lucille and Desi.” It’s in theaters December 10th, but you can watch it on Prime beginning December 21st. Lucie Arnaz has seen the movie, and has given it her stamp of approval.
3.) Just in case your kitchen towel storage needs a little help, and I’m raising my hand, here is an interesting folding method from Marie Kondo. I think it’s brilliant!
4.) FAVORITE QUOTE: “The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It’s about what you’re made of, not the circumstances.” ~quotebook.in
5.) This Highland Park home is a stunning mix of blue and white…and it’s cozy, functional, and so inviting. If you are in the mood for eye candy, take the tour HERE.
6.) While we’re on the subject of blue and white, I wanted to share some information about my Liberty Blue dinnerware, because I get so many questions about it. It was originally made for the Benjamin Franklin Federal Savings Bank in 1975 & 1976. A four piece place setting was given to anyone opening a new account, but they had to deposit $50 or more! It was made by Wedgewood, and when the bank was finished with their promotion, the remaining pieces were sold in grocery stores. The different plates and bowls depict scenes from the American Revolution, and all pieces are blue and white. It’s available on sites like eBay and Etsy, and can also be found in antique malls and flea markets. I collected my set, a few pieces at a time, over a period of about a year. That was many years ago, and I love it just as much today as I did when the first piece arrived!
7.) If collecting a set of blue and white vintage china isn’t for you, I found some other options that are beautiful and budget-friendly. This delicate set would be perfect for any occasion, and this set from Finlandia is classic and simple. If you want a more casual vibe, this stoneware set is the way to go. You can even get a blue and white set of Corelle!
8.) My kitchen has been kind of quiet, but I did make this chicken noodle casserole and it definitely hit the spot! The best thing to serve with this easy main dish is a fresh loaf of bread, and a simple salad.
10.) Make sure to come back on Sunday, because I have some very big and exciting news. See you then!