In this post: An easy recipe for Lemon Shortbread Cookies. A fresh lemon and sugar glaze tops off these lemon shortbread cookies. They melt in your mouth!
When it’s too cold to go out, I head to the kitchen. This week I made what I lovingly refer to as “comfort food.” A pot of soup, banana bread and these little lemon shortbread cookies. During these long, cold evenings, I have been pouring over old cookbooks trying to find easy recipes with basic ingredients. These lemon shortbread cookies are just that. You should have everything you need, except maybe the lemon, in your pantry. So add a lemon to your grocery list and you will be ready to whip up these amazingly good shortbread cookies!
Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons grated lemon peel (About two lemons)
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Zest and juice the lemons. Set both zest and juice aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, salt and lemon rind until smooth. About 2 minutes.
- Add flour and blend well.
- Dough will look like very course sand. Add 1 T. lemon juice and beat just a bit more.
- Gather dough into a ball kneading just a few times so it holds together.
- Divide in half. Refrigerate dough for 10 minutes.
- Remove one section from refrigerator. Roll out to 1/4 in. thick.
- Cut out with cookie cutter. I used a 2 1/2 in. circle.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 6 minutes. Do not brown.
- Repeat process for second half of dough.
- Combine powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice. Stir well. Add more lemon juice or milk until the glaze is desired consistency.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies.
Lemon Shortbread Cookies: The Glaze
The glaze is the perfect way to top off these cookies. I placed the shortbread cookies on my cooling racks with wax paper underneath. I started out by spooning on the glaze, but after about two cookies, I just picked up the bowl and drizzled it over the whole batch. I had them all glazed in less than a minute.
If you want just a basic shortbread cookie, it would work to leave out the lemon peel and lemon juice from the cookie dough. In place of the lemon juice, any kind of milk or cream could be substituted.
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my complete disclosure statement.
Lemon Shortbread Cookies Sources:
If you are east of the Mississippi, stay warm. If you are where the sun is hot and shining, think of us in the deep freeze! See you soon…
Subscribe to get OSP emails
and get this free dessert eCookbook!
Click the image to learn more.