Say the word “shortbread” and I’m there. Add the word “peach” and I’m totally there. Two of my favorite things in the world combined into one bar cookie called (what else?) Peach Shortbread. This is an easy dessert that uses fresh peaches and the shortbread part plays a double role. It’s the crust AND the topping. Yum.
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 t. baking powder
- 3 c. flour
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. nutmeg
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 sticks unsalted cold butter
- 1 egg
- 2 peaches peeled and sliced 1/4 in. thick or as desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare 9 x 13 pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, baking powder, flour, spices and salt with a whisk.
- Slice butter sticks and cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingertips.
- Add egg and continue to blend until crumbly but beginning to hold together.
- Put 3/4 of the mixture into prepared pan and pat down firmly.
- Arrange sliced peaches in rows.
- Sprinkle with remaining crust mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it begins to brown around the edges.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.