Grain Sack Christmas Tree How-To

DIY Grain Sack Christmas Trees. Great way to use up all those scraps of fabric!

Here’s a short, little tutorial on how to make these trees. Promise it’s not hard.

First…about the grain sack scraps. Obviously you don’t have to use grain sacks. Any type of fabric will work perfectly. Muslin, drop cloths, fat quarters, an old sheet. You need strips (length doesn’t matter) that are about 1-2 inches wide. Random is good.

Fire up your glue gun so it’s nice and hot when you’re ready. Start at the bottom and pin a strip of fabric to the tree.

Don’t worry about the pin heads because you will be covering them up. Wrap the strip of fabric around the tree. You have to sort of pull it to make it go on smoothly.

When you get to the end of a strip, overlap with another and pin where they meet. Continue up the tree until you reach the top.  Make sure the top of the tree doesn’t peek out.

I used vintage bells but you could use anything you want for the garland.

String the bells on thin twine. Knot one end. Decide now which side of your tree is the front. Start the garland on the back of the tree at the bottom, securing the knotted end with a pin. Wind the garland around the tree and secure at the top with another knot and pin.

Glue on groups of buttons spaced evenly around the tree. Make sure and cover any pin heads with a couple of buttons.

Attach your star to the top.

There you have it. Finished.

Here’s a quick look at my tiered basket all dressed for Christmas. I left my blue Ball jars and added pine cones and red balls. It literally took 30 seconds and I didn’t buy a thing.

If you look very closely you can see what’s left of my South Carolina cotton bolls in the blue jar on the bottom tier.
Thanks for stopping by!

Christmas Tree Signature copy

1. Lucy says

This is a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing. I will have to pin this and do it next year! I have that three tiered basket, too! I have it in my craft room. I should use it in other places in the house!!

Great tutorial! I have lots of fat quarters that I think would be adorable for this project. I could even see this as fall decor with a beautiful plaid homespun fabric and stringing acorns on the twine…oh the possibilities! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Crafty Hugs,
    Pendra

Dear Ann, your mini trees are so cute with their darling colorful button ornaments. I’m lovin’ that tiered basket…where can I pick one up? Hope your Etsy sales are going good and that you have much success with your growing business in the new year!

Hi Ann, I love your grain sack trees! They look perfect on your table with your other holiday items. So simple and yet striking. I’ve never heard of fat quarters. Can you tell me what type of material is that?

And to think, no mummies were harmed in the making of these trees!

But, seriously, Ann, they are so pretty! I’m thinking that is exactly what I need to make with my scraps from my stockings!

You’re so incredibly talented and I smile every time I visit!

6. Betty Sneeringer says

I love your cloth strip trees. And, your over-all grouping is very nice. This may be my next type of tree to make.
    Betty

Fabulous tutorial and what a good idea! Thank you, dear Ann, I will pin that and perhaps I can do it next year. I’m done, energy wise and otherwise for this year.
    Hugs, Cindy