Here we are already in April. I’m not even going to breathe a word about the weather and how it doesn’t feel the least bit like spring. Instead we’re going to talk about April’s Fresh Flavor of the month. Blueberries. We’re going to start off with one of my oldest recipes. Blueberry Coffee Cake.
My sister-in-law gave me this recipe shortly after I got married. Over the years I’ve passed it on to friends and other family members. It’s easy, quick and you should have all the ingredients in your pantry except for the blueberries!
The recipe makes an 8 x 8 cake but it can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13. The amount of blueberries can be adjusted according to your taste. I don’t like it chuck full of berries so I used about 1 cup. If you are a berry lover than pack them in!
- 1/4 c. Crisco
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c. milk
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 1/2 t. baking powder
- 2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 c. fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Blend first four ingredients with a mixer until smooth.
- Combine salt, baking powder and flour in a separate bowl.
- Add slowly to Crisco mixture.
- Beat until completely smooth.
- Carefully fold in blueberries with a spatula. Pour into 8 x 8 greased pan.
- For topping: Combine 1/2 c. sugar, 1/3 c. flour, 1/2 t. cinnamon. Cut in 1/4 c. soft butter. Sprinkle over blueberry batter. Dot with additional butter if desired.
- Bake 40 – 50 min. or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13.
I’m honestly not sure if you could substitute ingredients to make this a bit healthier. You could try whole wheat flour and maybe unsalted butter for the Crisco. I know shortening isn’t used much anymore.
I’ve been making this cake for so long that I hesitate to mess with the ingredients. It’s delicious just the way it is! Besides, it’s not on the menu every day. A splurge once in a while is good for the soul.
Thank you for stopping by…I’m off to see my daughter for the weekend. We plan to try and add some curb appeal to her home. Should be fun! See you Monday…