A delicious and easy blueberry coffee cake recipe that uses basic pantry ingredients and is so moist it will melt in your mouth!
Here we are already in March. I’m not even going to breathe a word about the weather and how it doesn’t feel the least bit like spring. I know spring is coming and I just need to be patient. It’s definitely worth waiting for! Even though blueberries aren’t in season, they have been plentiful and beautiful. I recently bought a pint and every single one was perfect. I decided to make an old recipe that I’ve had for years called (quite simply) Blueberry Coffee Cake.
My sister-in-law gave me this blueberry coffee cake recipe shortly after I got married. Over the years I’ve passed it on to friends and other family members. It’s easy, quick, and you should have all the ingredients in your pantry except for the blueberries!
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe Tips:
- This blueberry coffee cake recipe should be baked in an 8 x 8 inch pan, but it can also be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- For a twist on the traditional blueberry coffee cake, the batter can be scooped into the vessels of a mini bundt cake pan. Consult the recipe card for baking times. It works best to fill the vessels to about 1/2 inch below the rim. If filled up to the top, the cakes rise and overflow.
- The amount of blueberries can be adjusted according to your taste. I don’t like it chuck full of berries, so I cut the blueberry increment in half and used one cup . If you are a berry lover, then pack them in!
Click for my favorite bundlette pan!
Easy Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups Flour
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Blend all ingredients.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Prepare baking pan with softened butter or Baker's Joy.
- Baking times: 8 x 8 inch pan = 45-50 minutes. 9 x 13 inch pan = 50-60 minutes. Bundlette pan = 25 minutes. Cake is done when a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Optional crumble: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup soft butter. Toss with a fork and put on coffee cake before baking.
I’m honestly not sure if you could substitute ingredients to make this a bit healthier. Possible substitutions are whole wheat flour for the all purpose flour, and butter for the shortening. I’ve been making this cake for so long that I hesitate to mess with the ingredients. It’s delicious just the way it is! Besides, it’s not on the menu every day. A splurge once in a while is good for the soul.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe Substitutions
Update: A couple of readers left comments saying that butter can be substituted for the shortening and the result is wonderful. It also works to substitute almond flour for the all purpose flour. Frozen blueberries can be used if they are tossed in a bit of flour before being added to the batter.