I love making something from scratch. Even though I take a lot of short cuts when cooking or baking, and many of my recipes are semi-homemade, a dessert like this Maple Cake is best made from scratch. There is something about using fresh ingredients and putting it all together that is so satisfying. Sometimes a recipe is just as easy and quick from scratch as it would be if you took a short cut. I suppose you could use a yellow cake mix to make this Maple Cake but I honestly don’t think it would save you any time. It’s super easy and so good.
Maple Cake from Scratch
- 1 cup butter softened 2 sticks
- 3/4 c. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer put the softened butter, sugar and maple syrup.
- Beat on medium speed until fluffy (about 5 min.)
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well in between additions.
- Add vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in 3 batches to the butter/sugar mixture alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Combine well and scrape the bowl after each addition.
- Put batter in a prepared 9 x 9 baking pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until a knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- To serve: Dust with powdered sugar or add a dollop of whipped cream to each piece.
When I decided to try this Maple Cake recipe, I already knew where I was going to get the maple syrup. I’ve followed the blog Finding Home for a while, but as a blogger I don’t have a lot of time to keep up with what everyone is doing. Laura’s posts are ones I rarely miss though…and her family took a leap of faith not long ago and opened their own business. They produce maple syrup and have a lovely online shop. Take a look and if you need some maple syrup, they have the best.
Visit my category archives Bars and Cakes for more inspiration!