In this post: Quick and easy Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe that uses basic ingredients from your pantry. Baked in a bundt pan, it’s enough to feed a crowd for breakfast!
I don’t know about you…but when I read a recipe for the first time, I base a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on the answers to these questions:
- How many steps does the recipe have?
- Are there any weird ingredients?
- Will my family eat it without asking “What’s in this?”
I know this may seem a bit narrow-minded, but it’s also very realistic. It makes absolutely no sense to try a new and complicated recipe if it’s something my family won’t eat. This sour cream coffee cake recipe screams a unanimous and very loud “YES” to all three questions. Every ingredient in this recipe, except for maybe the sour cream, is in my pantry all the time.
There are just a few ingredients so it’s easy to throw together and very quick. It takes just fifteen minutes to get this delicious coffee cake in the oven. And the taste? Very moist and sweet.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 1/4 sticks butter at room temp.
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 3 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2. teaspoon salt omit if you use salted butter
- Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans roasted pecans are the best!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 10 in. bundt pan with non-stick baking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, flour and pecans.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer blend butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well between additions.
- Add flour mixture and sour cream alternating additions beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrape sides well.
- Spoon half the batter in the bundt pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 50 - 60 min. until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto cooling rack and dust with powdered sugar.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe Tips
- Do not over bake. Check it at fifty minutes, and if you think it needs five more minutes, take it out of the oven. The cake continues to bake in the bundt pan, so if you go for that extra five minutes, it might get a little too done.
- This coffee cake isn’t all that impressive right out of the bundt pan, but with a dusting of powdered sugar and colorful garnishes, it can be a total show stopper. I used raspberries and blackberries along with some fresh mint. It’s very easy to include the garnish on the plate when it’s served too.