This Chicken and Noodles Recipe is so easy and quick. Make it at the last minute and it tastes like you’ve been cooking all day!
The weather here in Ohio has been just dreadful. This week especially seemed to last forever. Every once in a while the sun would peek through, but mostly it’s been cloudy and gray. One of the best ways to combat the cold is with good, old-fashioned comfort food…like this chicken and noodles recipe. This probably shouldn’t even be considered an official recipe because there isn’t much to it. The result, however, is amazing.
Chicken and Noodles Recipe Tips
- You can add the dark meat from the chicken if you want to…that’s totally a personal choice.
- Make sure and add the juice floating in the bottom of the chicken bag to the broth. Even if it’s just a tiny bit, it will add unbelievable flavor.
- My favorite noodles are Kluski noodles…but any egg noodle will work. When I was growing up, my mom made this recipe with her own homemade noodles. Of course, it was much more work and she didn’t have the convenience of deli rotisserie chicken. It was delicious though.
- My mom served her chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes, so that’s what I have always done. If that’s too many carbs for you, it’s just perfect all on its own.
- This dish is very similar to my Chicken Noodle Casserole and Chicken Noodle Soup. All are family favorites.
- The noodles sometimes take on a life of their own as they cook. As noted in the printable recipe below, just add more chicken broth.
- It makes enough to feed an army so if you cook it on the weekend, you have a second week day meal all ready to go. Honestly…it’s just as good, if not better, as leftovers!
Chicken and Noodles Recipe Variations:
- This could be made a bit healthier if you used low sodium chicken broth and whole wheat noodles. If you try it that way, let me know how it turns out.
- Chopped celery and carrots can be sauteed in the pot with butter or olive oil before the chicken broth is added.
Old Fashioned Chicken and Noodles Recipe
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 32 oz. boxes chicken broth
- 1 lb. bag of egg noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Pour the 2 boxes of broth into a large pot on medium high heat.
- Pick the breast meat off the chicken and add to broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the whole bag of noodles.
- Add celery salt and seasoning salt.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover the pot and turn off the burner. Let the pot sit on the stove for one hour. Don't lift the pot lid.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
- If it gets too thick after the noodles are cooked, just add more chicken broth.
If you make this recipe, and love it, I encourage you to come back and leave a 5-star review. It would help me so much, and I would really appreciate it!