Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe for Two
An easy chicken parmesan recipe for two that is perfect for weeknight meals. Tender chicken breasts baked with fresh bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, then topped with pasta sauce and mozzarella.
Cooking for two…definitely, at times, a challenge. If you’re like me, you are still cooking as if there is a family at the table ready to chow down. I have tried to scale back, but it’s hard!
Why you will love this Chicken Parmigiana!
- Makes a great weeknight dinner that can be prepared in under an hour.
- This recipe uses basic pantry ingredients. Nothing weird included!
- It makes the perfect amount for two people, or can be doubled to feed more.
- This is the best chicken parmesan because it’s super easy to make.
What’s the difference between chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana?
There’s no difference! It’s just two names for the same dish.
Choosing the chicken breasts.
I use fresh, organic chicken breasts, but sometimes they can be very thick. To help the pieces of chicken cook more evenly, slice them in half, so they are about 1 inch thick. Another option is to pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet until they are a good thickness that will bake evenly. One more idea is to use chicken tenders, but they bake very quickly, so make sure to adjust the cook time.
How to Make
This is a delicious and filling dinner idea that is full of flavor, and even though there is a list of several steps, it’s very simple to make.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2: Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place chicken breasts on cookie sheet.
Step 3: Brush chicken breasts with Hellman’s. Turn and repeat.
Step 4: Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper according to your taste.
Step 5: In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder. Toss gently with a fork.
Step 6: Using your hands, generously sprinkle bread crumb mixture on top of chicken breasts.
Step 7: Press the bread crumbs into the top and sides of the chicken breasts. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
Step 8: Bake for 25 minutes.
Step 9: While chicken is in the oven, cook pasta according to package directions.
Step 10: Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce and toss the remaining cup with the cooked pasta. Cover to keep warm.
Step 11: Remove chicken from the oven. Top with reserved 1/2 cup of pasta sauce and shredded mozzarella.
Step 12: Return chicken to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and is slightly golden brown.
Step 13: Garnish chicken with fresh parsley or basil. Serve with pasta.
- All the measurements in the recipe are adjustable. This is one of those dishes where you don’t really have to measure, and it still comes out perfect! Use as much, or as little, sauce and cheese as you like.
- Most parmesan chicken recipes call for dredging the pieces of meat in flour, egg, and bread crumbs. My method is much easier, and it tastes equally as good. The Hellman’s adds an extra touch of moisture, and has a lovely flavor.
- If the chicken begins to brown too quickly, cover it with a loose piece of foil.
Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
To make a gluten free version of this chicken parmesan recipe, simply substitute gluten free panko crumbs for the regular bread crumbs, and substitute gluten free pasta for the regular pasta.
The marinara sauce can be swapped out with tomato sauce.
Provolone cheese can be substituted for the mozzarella.
Melted butter can be substituted for the olive oil.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
SHOP + SOURCE
Click the links below to be taken directly to the product listing. Every effort has been made to provide sources for the items found in this post. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. If an item is out of stock but may be restocked, I left it on the list.
*Affiliate links included. See my disclosure statement.
Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe for Two
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup Hellman's Light Mayonnaise
- 1 cup bread crumbs (fresh or panko)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 6 oz. pasta
- 12 oz. pasta sauce (marinara)
- shredded mozzarella
- fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place chicken breasts on cookie sheet.
- Brush chicken breasts with Hellman's. Turn and repeat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper according to your taste.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.
- Toss gently with a fork.
- Using your hands, generously sprinkle bread crumb mixture on top of chicken breasts.
- Press the bread crumbs into the top and sides of the chicken breasts.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While chicken is in the oven, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce and toss the remaining cup with the cooked pasta. Cover to keep warm.
- Remove chicken from the oven. Top with reserved 1/2 cup of pasta sauce and shredded mozzarella.
- Return chicken to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and is slightly golden brown.
- Garnish chicken with fresh parsley or basil. Serve with pasta.
If you make this baked chicken parmesan recipe, and love it, please come back to leave a comment and a 5-star review. I would really appreciate it, and it would help me so much. Thank you!
I’ve said this before many times, but making and photographing the recipes that appear here are a favorite aspect of my job. I’m on the hunt for more easy dinner ideas for two…so if you have a suggestion, please let me know. You can email me at email@example.com.
Thank you very much for stopping by and for your friendship. Until next time…