Easy romaine cranberry pear salad recipe that makes the perfect side dish to any meal. Uses delicious cranberry pear balsamic vinegar & fresh pears!
Summer is the season to eat lighter and salads are the perfect way to do that. Fresh ingredients and a delicious dressing are just the ticket to accompany any summertime meal. A few years ago, my sister-in-law introduced me to cranberry pear white balsamic vinegar. You can find it at any boutique oil & vinegar store or it can be ordered online. I’ve included some sources below. This amazing vinegar was the inspiration for the salad I’m featuring today.
This salad begins with fresh romaine lettuce. Toppings include chopped pear, dried cranberries, salted oven roasted pecans, goat cheese, olive oil, and the cranberry pear vinegar. It’s easy to make and goes together very quickly. The goat cheese melts a bit after the dressing is added, and makes the salad almost creamy.
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Romaine Cranberry Pear Salad Recipe Tips:
- The oil and vinegar ratio is not what is commonly used. I find that when I use the cranberry pear white balsamic vinegar, I can use much less olive oil.
- If you are lucky enough to have an oil & vinegar shop nearby, you will be able to find cranberry pear vinegar. It’s not available in the grocery store. I tried a couple of different brands from Amazon and my favorite is cranberry pear white balsamic from VSOP Taproom. Another option is ordering from Maine-ly Drizzle. I visited this shop when we were in Kennebunkport and purchased their vinegar. It’s very good. I’ve ordered from them a few times, as well as from Amazon.
- Don’t add the pear until the very last minute because it will quickly turn brown.
- The salted oven roasted pecans add a very good flavor, but any kind of nuts can be used.
- If you don’t like goat cheese, feta or fresh mozzarella would make good substitutions.
- To turn this salad into a main course, just add grilled or roasted chicken breast.
Romaine Cranberry Pear Salad Recipe
- 4 cups romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 1 firm pear (chopped)
- 1 - 2 oz. goat cheese
- 1/2 cup salted oven roasted pecans roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons cranberry pear white balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste if desired
- Prepare 4 cups of chopped romaine lettuce loosely packed. Place it in a large salad bowl.
- Add pecans and Craisins.
- At this point the salad can be placed in the refrigerator until ready to serve. (Not more than 2 - 3 hours.)
- When ready to serve: break apart goat cheese and add to the bowl.
- Chop the pear into small pieces. Add to bowl.
- For the dressing: the measurements above are just guidelines. Add the oil and vinegar a little at a time until you achieve your preferred taste.
- Toss everything together. Serve immediately.