Make this Honeycrisp Apple & Romaine Salad Recipe as a main course by adding grilled chicken, or serve it as a delicious and crisp side salad. Also includes an apple cider vinegar salad dressing recipe that is like the icing on a cake!
Generally, I don’t especially enjoy my own salads. I love ordering salads in restaurants, (when we used to actually go to restaurants,) but generally my own salads aren’t my favorite thing to eat. However, I’ve discovered that when I use fresh chopped romaine hearts, my salads taste surprisingly good. I served this Honeycrisp Apple & Romaine Salad on Christmas Eve, and by the end of dinner, the entire bowl was gone! It tasted fresh, crisp, and so delicious. It’s the perfect side salad for literally any meal.
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Apple & Romaine Salad Recipe Tips
- The ingredients that make up this romaine salad recipe go together beautifully…but any of your favorite vegetables can be substituted.
- Good substitutions for the feta cheese are goat cheese or shredded parmesan.
- Any kind of vegetable or salad oil can be substituted for the olive oil. If you prefer a milder taste, canola or safflower oil are good choices.
- Simply add grilled chicken or shrimp to turn this side salad into a main course. This romaine salad recipe makes four generous side salad servings. It serves two people when used as a main course.
Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing: Fresh or Bottled?
Personally, I serve bottled salad dressing all the time. It’s convenient and very tasty. However, there is something about making a fresh dressing that takes a salad to the next level, because you can get the seasoning just right. The easiest from-scratch dressing to make is a vinaigrette. The ratio for making a vinaigrette is 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Some vinegars have a stronger taste than others, so consider this ratio a starting point, and always make your fresh vinaigrette to your own taste. My inspiration for this romaine salad recipe was a bottle of Private Selection Crisp Apple Honey Vinaigrette. (Private Selection is available at Kroger.) Other suggestions for bottled dressing are:
- Ken’s Steak House Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Marzetti Tastefully Dressed Honeycrisp Apple Dressing
- Newman’s Own Honey Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Honeycrisp Apple & Romaine Salad Recipe plus Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing
For the Salad
- 1 romaine heart, washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber (I used an English cucumber)
- 2 Campari tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Honeycrisp Apple, chopped
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate (Thaw before adding to jar.)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare & chop the salad ingredients.
- Place the romaine, cucumber, tomato, feta, and apples in a large bowl.
- Place the salad bowl in the refrigerator while the dressing is made.
- Put all the salad dressing ingredients in jar with a tight lid.
- Shake well.
- Drizzle the dressing on the salad, using your preferred amount.
- Toss well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
*If you try this recipe, and love it, please come back and give it a five star rating. It would help me so much. Thank you!
Shop My Favorites:
- Pyrex mixing bowl
- Blue plaid towel set (I got the blue set for Christmas and they are the best! Available in many colors.)
- Ceramic Chef’s knife