Make this chicken salad with apples for an easy lunch, or a casual dinner. Pile the chicken salad on thick toast for a filling & crunchy sandwich.
Casual dinners have become the norm around here these days. My husband and I like to watch the news during dinner, and we rarely sit at the dining table. I like to opt for “easy to eat” choices, and sandwiches top the list. Our favorites are grilled turkey and cheese, ham and swiss sliders, and chicken salad sandwiches, which is what I’m sharing with you today.
Tips for Amazing Chicken Salad with Apples
- Any kind of chicken can be used to make this recipe, but rotisserie chicken or baked chicken breasts are easy, and very moist.
- The combination of the celery and apples adds a delicious crunch, so make sure to use both ingredients.
- Use your favorite apple variety to make this easy recipe. Some suggestions are Honeycrisp, Fuji, Gala, or Golden Delicious.
- The pecan roasting step is optional, but it only takes a few minutes, and the pecans become so much more flavorful after roasting.
- This chicken salad with apples can be made according to your family’s tastes. The measurements are simply guidelines, and can be easily adapted. Ideas for additional add-ins are: red or green onion, grapes, dried cranberries, or fresh dill.
- The lemon zest and parsley brighten the taste of this salad, and add a wonderful flavor. I love tasting a subtle hint of lemon in every bite.
- If you like your chicken salad thinned out a bit, add a tablespoon of milk or plain yogurt. Stir well to make sure everything is combined.
Chicken Salad with Apples & Pecans
- 2 cups chicken (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 cup apple (chopped)
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest (zest from 1 large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 cup lite mayonnaise
- salt & pepper
- Prepare the ingredients. Chop the chicken, celery, apples, and parsley, Zest the lemon.
- Place the chopped pecans in a small skillet on the stove, over medium high heat.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, watching carefully and stirring, until pecans are lightly roasted.
- Add pecans, salt and pepper to chopped ingredients.
- Toss lightly to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise, and gently stir until the mayo is incorporated into the ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce, or on toasted bread as a sandwich.
This chicken salad with apples can be served at lunch or dinner. For a light lunch, serve a large scoop of salad on a bed of lettuce. Add a healthy muffin and you’re good to go. One of the best things about making chicken salad sandwiches for dinner is that the main work can be done ahead of time. I make the chicken salad in the afternoon, so at dinner time, all I have to do is assemble the sandwiches. Serve the toasted sandwiches with a cup of soup, and you have a casual, yet hearty and filling dinner.
More Casual Dinner Ideas!