This homemade macaroni and cheese is baked with a crispy topping. Make this easy homemade mac and cheese recipe for a simple and delicious family dinner!
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese. For any Catholic kid growing up in the 60’s and 70’s, it was the go-to Friday night dinner. It’s also the definition of comfort food. I am ashamed to admit that when my kids were growing up, I didn’t make this. I know…I really owe them an apology. I made the blue box Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Both of my kids loved it and it was something I knew they would always eat. Plus it was easy and fast.
Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe
A few years ago, when I started cooking for my parents, my Dad asked me to make my Mom’s homemade mac and cheese recipe. I took her recipe and combined it with one from a friend. This combination of recipes is what I make now. I added the fresh bread crumb topping, but it’s an optional step. When my mom made homemade macaroni and cheese, she didn’t bake it. She served it straight from the stovetop.
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Tips
- During the season of Lent, this is a great Friday meal…although it’s not really much of a sacrifice because it’s so delicious. It is meat-less though so it fits the bill.
- If you serve this homemade macaroni and cheese as a main dish, it feeds 4 or 5. If you serve it as a side dish, it would feed between 6 and 8.
- I made this for my dad on Ash Wednesday and he gave it a thumbs-up. That’s always a good feeling!
I just finished my first week of dedicated dieting for 2018, and despite eating homemade mac and cheese, I managed to lose a few pounds. I’m trying to find some balance, but even after all these years, I find it very hard. I’d like to still enjoy the foods I love, but I know I have to find some moderation…or balance. Whatever you call it, it’s not easy to find.
Other Sunday Supper Recipes:
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Easy Baked Spaghetti
- Rosemary Parmesan Chicken
- My Mom’s Pot Roast
- Hearty Potato Soup
- Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry Crust
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Chicken Salad Fruit Plate
- Beef Barley Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
*Some links lead to websites where I am an affiliate. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Shop my favorite kitchen tools and supplies in the On Sutton Place Amazon Shop!
Want my free Sunday Supper eCookbook?
Click the image to learn how!