If there is really such a thing as a healthy dessert, this Oatmeal Cake would be it. Yes, there’s butter and sugar, but it’s got a sort of homey taste that is comforting. Healthy comfort food. How’s that? This is another oldie found in my recipe box and it’s as basic as they come.
It’s incredibly moist and I think that’s because the oats are soaked before being added to the cake mix. It’s an easy step that takes just a minute but makes a big difference.
- 1 c. uncooked oats quick or old fashioned
- 1 1/3 c. boiling water
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. Flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt cut in half if you use salted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl pour the boiling water over the 1 c. oatmeal.
- Stir and let cool.
- In a large bowl mix the sugars, butter and eggs until fluffy.
- Add flour, soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add oat mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour into 9 x 13 prepared pan.
- Bake 35 - 40 min. until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This cake called for a brown sugar frosting that I opted to leave off. I thought it was a little too much trouble because it had to be cooked. Plus it would take the healthy spin off this recipe. The powdered sugar made the cake look pretty and added just the right finishing touch.
For those of you who were so nice when Kelly got hurt, I’m happy to say she is pretty much back to normal. When she stuck her nose up at breakfast a few days ago I knew she was back! I’m still nervous to walk very far off our street but I’m working on it. I hate being afraid. It makes me feel inadequate and I hate that even more…but I know things will get better. I, for one, am ready to say goodbye to July. Hello August!