This classic pumpkin roll recipe is on my baking list every single fall! I’ve been making it for years and it is always a hit. It’s the perfect, make-ahead dessert for fall gatherings or potlucks.
I remember the first time I attempted this pumpkin roll recipe. It was at least 25 years ago and I was so excited that it was a success and was so beautiful. Since then I have made more pumpkin rolls than I can count and each time, that feeling of accomplishment is the same. There is just something about this recipe that’s challenging but so fun. I think it has something to do with dumping the cake out of the pan!
That actually sounds worse than it is. This pumpkin roll recipe has a lot of steps, but they are so easy….and the end result is definitely worth it.
Pumpkin Roll Recipe tips:
- Make sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix.
- Set the timer for the five minute cooling period. The cake needs to still be warm to roll up correctly.
- Prepare your pan well with shortening & flour OR use Baker’s Joy.
- Use a smooth cotton towel to roll up the cake. Don’t use anything with fluff or nap.
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
For the Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
For the Frosting
- 1 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 8 oz. package cream cheese softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, or large mixing bowl, beat the eggs on high for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and pumpkin.
- Add remaining cake ingredients and mix until well combined, scraping the bowl once or twice.
- Pour cake batter onto prepared 10 x 15 sheet pan with sides. I use Baker's Joy to prepare all my baking pans.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- While cake is baking, prepare the frosting.
- Beat together the powdered sugar, butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Set aside.
- Prepare a large, cotton kitchen towel by laying it flat and sprinkling well with powdered sugar.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert the cake on to the towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Starting with the narrow end, begin rolling up the towel, rolling the cake with it. Cool completely on a wire rack. (Your cake roll will be 10 inches long.)
- When cake has cooled, unroll the towel. Spread the cake with the cream cheese filling. Roll the cake back up. This time do NOT roll it up in the towel!
- Wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Slice and serve.
Some of my pumpkin rolls are prettier than others. I would give this one about a B+. The thing to remember when rolling the cake up the final time (after the frosting is on) is to get it as tight as you can. The tighter the roll, the more perfect the slices. I do love a pretty pumpkin roll…but no matter what it looks like, I promise it will taste amazing!
Click the images below to shop the post!
(Round leaf plate and scalloped platter no longer available.)
Classic Pumpkin Roll Recipe Video
More pumpkin dessert ideas!
Thanks for stopping by!