This classic pumpkin roll recipe is on my baking list every fall! It’s the perfect, make-ahead dessert for family gatherings, potlucks, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.
I remember the first time I attempted this pumpkin roll recipe. It was at least 30 years ago, and I was very excited that it was a success, and turned out to be so beautiful. Since then I have made more pumpkin rolls than I can count, and each time that feeling of accomplishment is the same. This recipe has quite a few steps, but they are all very easy. I also experimented with a different rolling method, and it’s definitely the way to go!
*This post is sponsored by Walmart. However, as always, all ideas, selections, and images are my own.
- Eggs: the binding that holds the pumpkin cake together.
- Sugar: the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Pure vanilla extract: delicious flavoring used in both the cake + the frosting.
- Fresh lemon juice: brightens the taste of the pumpkin.
- Canned pure pumpkin puree: make sure to use pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling.
- All purpose flour: the base to any baked item.
- Baking powder: use one teaspoon so your pumpkin cake will rise. It’s also fine to use half baking powder and half baking soda, as long as the leavening equals one teaspoon.
- Cinnamon: a must-have for any pumpkin recipe.
- Nutmeg: adds a bit more spicey flavor. (I love that Walmart has organic spices.)
- Salt: balances the sweetness.
- Butter: helps the frosting spread evenly.
- Cream Cheese: the quintessential frosting ingredient.
- Powdered Sugar: holds the butter and cream cheese together.
I got all the ingredients to make this delicious pumpkin roll at Walmart. It’s just smart to shop at Walmart because you never have to feel like you are “trading down” when you buy Walmart brands. They have all the products to live the lifestyle you want, at a price you can afford.
Recipe Variations + Tips
- Finely chopped pecans or walnuts can be sprinkled on the cake batter before baking.
- For a fluffier cream cheese frosting, fold in some whipped cream or ready-made whipped topping right before you are ready to apply it to the cake.
- An equal amount of pumpkin pie spice can be substituted for the cinnamon/nutmeg.
- Ground ginger, ground cloves, or allspice can also be added in addition to the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fresh pumpkin puree can be substituted for the canned variety.
- Make sure to set out your butter and cream cheese for the frosting. It needs to be room temperature to mix properly.
What is the secret to rolling a pumpkin roll?
There are actually three secrets. The first is to roll very slowly. The second is to roll while the cake is still hot. Set the timer for the five minute cooling period. Do not wait longer to remove the cake from the pan. The cake is pliable when it’s hot, and that makes rolling so much easier.
The last secret is when you are rolling up the cake the final time (after the frosting is on) roll it as tight as you can. The tighter the roll, the more perfect the slices.
How do you keep a pumpkin roll from cracking?
A prepared pan is the key to removing the cake without cracking. I have used two methods to make this recipe. The first is to dump the cake out on a thin towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. You then roll up the cake inside the towel.
The second method is to line the pan with parchment paper, using the ends of the paper to lift the cake out of the pan. Having tried both methods, the parchment paper is the clear winner. See my detailed instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Store a Pumpkin Roll
This pumpkin roll recipe is a great make-ahead dessert. After rolling the second time, wrap the frosting filled cake in plastic wrap or wax paper and place it in the refrigerator. Slice it with a very sharp knife when you are ready to serve. The unsliced pumpkin roll can also be placed in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure to defrost it in the refrigerator, and not at room temperature.
When it comes to buying groceries, I appreciate anything that saves time. I’ve been using online grocery ordering and pickup service for years. When our Walmart began offering it, I couldn’t get there fast enough. I love the fact that someone else wanders around finding everything I need! New customers can use the promo code TRIPLE10 to save $10 off their first three pickup or delivery orders. ($50 minimum. Restrictions + fees apply.) Dare to compare the Walmart brands…start your order now!
A Story about Kindness
Before we wrap this up, I have a little story to tell. I ordered the groceries I needed for this recipe online from Walmart, and had them delivered. When they arrived, right on time, a plate I was going to use to display the dessert in my photographs was broken.
I must have looked devastated, because the delivery man was very apologetic. I explained about my website, that I was partnering with Walmart, and that I REALLY needed that plate. I knew the plate was the last one at the store where I placed my order, so I thought I was out of luck.
Long story short, that delivery man went to the other Walmart, we have two, and brought a plate back to my house. He even paid for it with his own money. (I paid him back of course!) I was so impressed, and very grateful. He literally saved the day…and he did it on his own, and out of kindness.
Pumpkin Roll Recipe Shop + Source
Click the images below to be taken directly to the product listing. Every effort has been made to provide sources for the items found in this post. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. If an item is out of stock but may be restocked, I left it on the list.
More pumpkin dessert ideas!
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
- 10 inch x 15 inch jelly roll pan
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- parchment paper
For the Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a 10 inch x 15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. The paper should hang over the long sides about 2 inches. Lightly apply cooking spray to the paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, or large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the eggs on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Mix well.
- Pour cake batter onto parchment lined jelly roll pan and spread to the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Place a cooling rack right beside your jelly roll pan. Carefully lift the cake out of the pan by holding the sides of the parchment paper. Transfer it to the cooling rack.
- Starting with the narrow end, begin rolling the cake. Roll the parchment paper right along with the cake. Loosely twist the ends of the parchment paper (like a Tootsie Roll) as you go. (Your roll will be 10 inches long.)
- Cool rolled cake completely on wire rack.
- While cake is cooling, prepare the frosting.
- Beat together the powdered sugar, butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Set aside.
- When cool, unroll the cake. Spread the cake with the cream cheese filling. Roll the cake back up, peeling back the parchment paper as you roll. DO NOT INCLUDE THE PARCHMENT PAPER ON THE SECOND ROLL.
- Liberally dust the pumpkin roll with powdered sugar. This is optional but very pretty.
- Wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator at least an hour. Overnight is better.
- Slice and serve. Additional powdered sugar can be sprinkled before serving.
If you make this pumpkin roll recipe, and love it, please come back and leave a comment with a 5-star review. It would help me so much, and I would really appreciate it!
Fill Out The Form Below for more Pumpkin Recipes!
This digital cookbook (can be printed too) includes easy pumpkin dessert recipes your family will love. Each one is delicious, quick to make, and uses basic pantry ingredients. Just fill out this form and it will arrive in your email inbox shortly!