Hearty and super simple, this beef barley soup recipe goes from stovetop to table in about an hour! Perfect for busy weeknight dinners or Sunday Supper. Semi-homemade and delicious!
Years ago, my husband came home one day and told me about this amazing beef barley soup he had at our local Elks. Keep in mind, this is a guy who, when you ask him what he thinks of ANYTHING, his answer is “It’s fine.” He just doesn’t get excited about too many things. Anyway, I started asking questions about the soup. What was in it? Was it thick? Was it all barley or just a little barley? He was no help at all so I decided to just make up my own recipe and see what he thought. Instead of “It’s fine,” I got “That was pretty good.” So I’ve been making this simple and hearty beef barley soup ever since.
Beef Barley Soup
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. stew meat
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 cartons beef broth 32 oz. each
- 1 cup quick cooking barley
- In the bottom of a soup pot, swirl olive oil to almost cover the bottom.
- Add stew meat, carrots, celery and onion.
- Cook and stir until beef is well browned.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cartons of beef broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add barley.
- Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally so barley doesn't sink to the bottom.
This beef barley soup is something I can make at the last minute (it takes about an hour from start to finish) and it looks like I’ve been cooking all day. It really is so easy but tastes like it’s made completely from scratch. One variation that is very good is to substitute tomato juice for one carton of the beef broth. I really like it that way but my husband prefers the basic version…so that’s what I usually make.
I’ll be back tomorrow as part of The Hearts at Home Tour. I’m telling the story of our house. See you then…
Other Sunday Supper Recipes:
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Easy Baked Spaghetti
- Rosemary Parmesan Chicken
- My Mom’s Pot Roast
- Hearty Potato Soup
- Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry Crust
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- Chicken Salad Fruit Plate
- Chicken Noodle Soup
*Some links lead to websites where I am an affiliate. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Shop my favorite kitchen tools and supplies in the On Sutton Place Amazon Shop!