In this post: DIY Fall Wreath Idea with lamb’s ear and cotton bolls. Such an easy way to add a custom touch of autumn to your front door!
Hello! If you saw my fall preview post, you know that I’m obsessed at the moment with faux lamb’s ear (that actually looks real) and cotton bolls. I used cotton bolls last year and loved them, so they’re back again this year. The first thing I did to kick off my fall decor was make a wreath for our front door. I kept things somewhat simple, and there’s minimal color.
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Fall Wreath Supplies
Fall Wreath Assembly
- Using wire cutters, trim each lamb’s ear stem so there is about 4 inches below the leaves.
- Determine the top of your wreath. Begin by inserting a lamb’s ear stem at the top, with the leaves pointing to the right.
- Continue inserting lamb’s ear stems down the right side of the wreath, stopping at the bottom (as pictured in the image below.)
- Repeat this process on the left side of the wreath, starting at the top and ending at the bottom.
- Don’t worry too much about adjusting or fluffing until the wreath is on your door. It’s much easier when the wreath is hanging.
- Trim the cotton boll stems the same way you trimmed the lamb’s ear stems.
- Decide where you want the cotton bolls and insert them into the grapevine.
- I spaced my cotton bolls as evenly as I could, but the placement is totally up to you. It would be pretty to cluster them along the bottom or top of the wreath.
When a grapevine wreath is used for a base, there is no need to use any glue or wire. Just stick the stems directly into the grapevine and push. Occasionally the stems stick out on the back of the wreath…simply tuck them in.
Like most wreaths I make, this one didn’t turn out exactly how I planned. I wanted to use eucalyptus, but after the lamb’s ear was in, I thought it would be too much. I also wanted to add a bow, but again, the wreath didn’t need it. Most of the time, less is more.
Fall Wreath Idea from last year
I checked at Hobby Lobby to see if the gold stems I used for my fall wreath last year were still available. They are, so if you want a wreath with more color, click here:
Mayne planter | Lanterns | Eucalyptus stem | Cotton boll stem | Cotton boll garland| Lambs Ear stem | Lambs Ear garland | Front Door Color | Porch lights | Address plaque | Mailbox | Door hardware | Wreath hanger
The last official weekend of the summer is coming up and I hope you all have good weather and family fun. Be safe and enjoy!