Strawberry Lemon Shortbread Bars: a quick and easy dessert that gets its incredible taste from fresh lemon and strawberries. The perfect shortbread recipe.
Just when I think I couldn’t possibly find another strawberry dessert recipe to share, one pops up. I’m calling this one Strawberry Lemon Shortbread Bars. It’s actually supposed to be a cake but the minute I put it in my mouth, I thought immediately that it was one of the best shortbreads I had ever tasted. (Must be the 2 sticks of butter. Ha!)
This recipe for strawberry lemon shortbread bars has fresh lemon peel AND juice which makes the taste fresh and bright. I love recipes that call for lemon peel because one of my favorite things to do is zest a lemon. The scent is like no other. When it’s all mixed together, the batter is a bit stiff, but I didn’t have any trouble spreading it out to the sides of the pan. I used a 9 x 9 baking pan but if you don’t have one, just use an 8 x 8. It may take a few minutes longer to bake so just watch it towards the end.
Strawberry Lemon Shortbread Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice about 2 small lemons
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries diced
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg, 2-3 Tablespoons lemon zest, and lemon juice
- Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add dry mixture to batter just until combined.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Put dough into prepared 9 x 9 pan and spread to the edges with a large spoon.
- Bake 35 - 40 min. until golden on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired
*Some links lead to websites where I am an affiliate. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
This would be a lovely dessert to serve for a summer brunch or family dinner. I think it’s very pretty and if you garnished it with a sliced strawberry (or a slice of lemon) and a mint leaf it would definitely impress your guests! I also think you could substitute other fruits for the strawberries. Blueberries would be especially delicious.
Strawberry Lemon Shortbread Bars Shopping Sources
More delicious strawberry dessert recipes!
- Strawberry Scones
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Skillet Cake
- Strawberry Streusel
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Strawberry Walnut Bread
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
- Strawberry Icebox Cake
- Strawberry No Churn Ice Cream
Just a thought before I go…I’ve never considered myself an overly patriotic person. Yes…I love my country but I’ve never had to sacrifice anything for my freedom. I haven’t watched as a ship sailed out to sea with my husband on board. I haven’t had sleepless nights wondering if a loved one was alive or dead. I didn’t raise my kids alone because my spouse was serving in the military. There are people just like you and me who make sacrifices like these every day. If there are any of you out there who are possibly reading this, I’d like to say thank you. I can’t say I understand, but I am grateful. Very grateful…
Wishing you all a safe and restful Memorial Day weekend.