Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Puff Pastry
This delicious and hearty slow cooker chicken pot pie soup with puff pastry is perfect for family dinners and gatherings. Uses basic ingredients and no canned soup!
Slow cookers are one of the best kitchen inventions ever. With just a little bit of prep, they make your dinner while you take care of business elsewhere! Together with Walmart Home, I’m sharing one of the tastiest soup recipes I’ve ever made. It’s also one of the easiest. Everything you need to turn out delicious food from your kitchen can be found at Walmart. From kitchen appliances, like this Beautiful slow cooker, to utensils and cutting boards, to the groceries needed to make the food your family loves. It’s the ultimate one-stop shopping experience.
There are hundreds of slow cooker chicken pot pie soup recipes in cookbooks, and online. This is by no means an original recipe…but I tried a few different ingredient combinations, and this one is definitely the best. An ingredient that I was determined to avoid was using any kind of canned soup. Don’t get me wrong…I love recipes that call for canned soup. (One of my family’s favorite dinners ever is chicken noodle casserole.) I wanted this chicken pot pie soup to be made with as many fresh ingredients as possible…but I did cheat a little by using frozen veggies and chicken broth in a box! This soup is sure to impress your family, friends, and any guests that happen to pop in. It’s even giftable…just fill mason jars with this amazing soup, put the puff pastry cutouts in a cellophane bag tied with ribbon, and you have a lovely and homemade gift from your kitchen.
*Although this post is sponsored by Walmart, all ideas, images, and tips are my own. Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Tips for Amazing Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- This is one of those recipes where you can use the ingredient list below simply for inspiration. It can be adjusted to meet the requirements and taste of your family. Add your favorite veggies, herbs, and spices.
- I used three chicken breasts because there is nothing worse than getting to the end of a pot of soup, only to find that all the meat is gone! Two breasts would work just fine, but for that little extra, add the third breast.
- Any herbs can be used. I added thyme & rosemary because it was still growing in my patio pots. Bay leaf, a little sage, and fresh chopped parsley as a garnish would be tasty, and add the perfect savory touch.
- Feel free to use your favorite potato, but a large russet potato adds that extra starch that helps the soup thicken. Russets aren’t particularly known for being used in soup, but they hold up nicely in this recipe, and don’t fall apart.
- For extra thick and creamy soup, mix 3 tablespoons of corn starch with 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. Whisk it well until the lumps are gone. Add it to the soup with the cream/flour mixture.
- If you happen to have off-the-cob freezer corn on hand, it’s amazing in this soup.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Substitutions + Variations
- Adding 4 oz. of softened cream cheese in the beginning, on top of the chicken, makes the soup extra creamy and brightens the taste.
- Two teaspoons of garlic powder make a good substitution for the minced garlic or fresh chopped garlic cloves.
- The addition of a chicken bouillon cube with the chicken broth pumps the flavor up and can be used if you don’t have fresh herbs.
- Mix and match veggie suggestions: fresh choppedd celery, green beans, lima beans, peas, carrots, corn, mushrooms, butternut squash.
- The puff pastry can be switched out with refrigerated pie crust, homemade pie crust, refrigerated or homemade biscuits, or refrigerated crescent rolls.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Puff Pastry
- 8 qt. slow cooker
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (jarred or fresh cloves)
- 1/2 large sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 large russet potato (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
- 1 12 oz. bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- fresh rosemary & thyme (one or two sprigs each)
- 1 32 oz. box of chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Spray the insert of a 6-8 quart slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Place 3 chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic, onion, potato, herbs, peas and carrots, corn, and broth.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred with two forks. Add it back to the soup. Stir well.
- Pour heavy cream into a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the warmed cream.
- Add the cream/flour mixture to the slow cooker. Gently stir until everything is combined.
- Cook on high for 1 more hour.
- Remove one sheet of puff pastry from freezer.
- Thaw following package directions.
- Sprinkle a little flour and roll the pastry sheet out, just to smooth it.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes. (Hearts, stars, etc.)
- Place cut out puff pastry on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, until golden brown and puffed.
- Serve soup in large bowls, topped with the puff pastry cutouts.
Kitchen Helpers Shopping Guide
More helpful links to all things home from Walmart…no matter what your budget, find a stylish home gift, for yourself or someone else, in your price range.