Make this easy and delicious homemade cookie cake recipe in a heart-shaped dish for the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert or snack!
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
One of the things I like best about Valentine’s Day, at least for the past few years, is that I get to bake something in my heart dish! Of course, it can be used year-round, but it’s especially fun to use it for a special Valentine’s Day treat. It’s perfect for this Overnight Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake recipe, or any homemade cookie cake, like my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
I bought the heart dish for myself a few years ago when it was on sale, and it just might be my favorite baking pan ever. It’s very pretty, and the ruffled edge makes for a stunning presentation. It was one of those impulse buys that I do not regret.
This year, I tried a basic sugar cookie recipe, and it turned out so good! It was easy, and except for the M&M’s, I had all the ingredients in my pantry. This sugar cookie cake recipe can be used for individual cookies as well.
How to Make a Cookie Cake
Cookie cakes are so simple. All you do is take any cookie recipe, and bake it in a pan. Most cookie recipes that make 3 to 4 dozen cookies will fit in an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch pan. Specialty pans, like my heart dish, can also be used. Start the bake time at 20 minutes, and add more in 5 minute increments until the cookie cake is done in the middle, and light golden on top.
Homemade Cookie Cake Recipe Tips
- The powdered sugar adds a nice taste and texture to the cookie cake, but all granulated sugar can be used as well.
- If you are a chocolate lover, M&M’s can be added to the batter before baking.
- The cake can be stored at room temperature for 2 or 3 days, covered tightly with plastic wrap. It’s actually really good and still very moist on the 2nd day.
- I baked this cake for exactly 25 minutes and it came out just like I wanted. A little crispy around the edges, but done in the middle. In order to get the cake done in the middle, the edges may become a little brown. This is fine…and actually very delicious!
Homemade Cookie Cake
- 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Valentine's M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, or a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat on medium high for 1 minute. (An electric mixer works best.)
- In a separate bowl, add the baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and flour.
- Whisk gently to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar/egg mixture in 3 increments, mixing well and scraping the bowl between additions.
- Put cookie dough into prepared pan. (See recipe notes.)
- Before baking, top cookie dough with M & M's if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- May be served warm or at room temperature.
Shop my favorite cookie cake making tools:
- KitchenAid mixer
- measuring cups and spoons
- Emile Henry Ruffled Heart Dish
- 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch square pan
*For a limited time, the heart dish is 20% off, and is available in red or white.