Make this healthy applesauce muffins recipe for a delicious on-the-go breakfast or an easy snack. No white sugar, no white flour, no butter or oil!
Coming up with healthy breakfast ideas sounds like it should be easy…but sometimes it can be hard and frustrating. “Healthy” doesn’t have to be boring or bland…in fact, with just a little bit of effort, it can be very tasty! These healthy applesauce muffins are easy to make, have no white sugar, no white flour, and no butter or oil. These muffins have about 170 calories each, which makes them a good choice for breakfast or a snack.
Healthy Applesauce Muffins Recipe Tips
- If you want to substitute regular 100% whole wheat flour for the white wheat flour, use the same amount. If you want to substitute all-purpose white flour for the whole wheat flour, use 1 1/2 cups. (I have never tried this so if you do, please let me know how it comes out.)
- Since there is no oil or butter in the batter, make sure to spray your muffin pan well with Baker’s Joy or use paper muffin cups.
- For fresh-from-the-oven taste, warm the muffins in the microwave for 10-15 seconds before eating.
- These healthy applesauce muffins freeze well.
- The recipe can be cut in half for fewer muffins, or doubled to make more.
Healthy Applesauce Muffins Recipe
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups organic unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats instant or old fashioned
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to applesauce mixture all at once.
- Mix again until well combined. Make sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Prepare a muffin pan with Baker's Joy or paper muffin cups.
- Divide batter into vessels of the muffin/cupcake pan.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
- my favorite muffin pan
- navy flatware
- blue spatulas
- plates are vintage Liberty Blue ironstone
- blue and white tea towel is vintage French linen
I’m going to be honest. Eating healthy is not one of my strengths. I definitely know HOW to do it, but many times I make the wrong choices. I believe that making the right choices depends on what is (and what is not) available in your kitchen. By making recipes like these healthy applesauce muffins, the right choices are so much easier to make. Until next time…