This recipe for Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies is from a Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book that belonged to my Grandmother. I’ve made these before but not for a really long time. When my kids were home the go-to home made treat was Chocolate Chip Cookies. These are my husband’s favorite so I made them a few Sundays ago when we were snowed in. For about the 4th time…but who’s counting?
Old Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 c. Sugar
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 3/4 c. Flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- 2 c. oats
- 3/4 c. raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat first 5 ingredients until well mixed.
- Whisk together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and oats.
- Add to sugar mixture in three additions scraping the bowl between additions.
- Fold in raisins.
- Drop by level 2 in. scoops onto cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 min.
This cookie was actually crowned the Best Cooky of 1900 – 1910. I’m not sure who bestowed this honor but I totally agree. These are delicious and very moist. They make a great breakfast cookie too.