In this post: Rustic Peach Tart Recipe with Self-Rising Flour Crust: easy dessert that’s simple enough for weeknight meals yet pretty enough for company!
Today’s rustic peach tart recipe was a very pleasant, unexpected surprise…and I hope you love it as much as I do! The homegrown peaches around here have been so good the past few weeks, so I’ve been buying them whenever I can. Some ripen quicker than others and it’s totally unpredictable. I recently found myself with four beautiful, but very ripe peaches that needed used ASAP. I decided to make a quick rustic peach tart, but discovered that I was completely out of flour. (Who does that?) I did, however, have a bag of self-rising flour.
A quick google search led me to an easy recipe on marthastewart.com. It looked totally straight-forward so I decided to give it a go.
The dough went together quickly and easily. It’s a rather wet dough, but not so wet that you can’t manage it. I rolled it out on a piece of floured parchment paper and then slid the paper on to a baking sheet. If you wanted to use this dough recipe for a regular pie crust, just use a little more flour so it doesn’t stick to the parchment paper when you move it.
Rustic Peach Tart Recipe Tip:
If you don’t have self-rising flour, regular flour can be used. Just add 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt to 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
Rustic Peach Tart Recipe
For the crust
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups self rising flour
For the filling
- 4 medium peaches peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon self rising flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine oil & water in a small saucepan. Heat until it just begins to boil.
- Pour oil/water into a mixing bowl. Let cool 2 minutes.
- Add flour to oil/water. Stir until combined. Dough will be rather wet but will hold together and pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Put dough out onto a floured piece of parchment paper.
- Using as much extra flour as needed, roll dough into a 10 to 11 inch circle.
- Slide parchment paper with dough circle onto a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Combine sliced peaches, 1 tablespoon flour and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Pour peach mixture onto center of dough.
- Carefully lift the outsides of the dough circle and lay over the peaches.
- Sprinkle crust with sugar. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool, slice and serve. Pairs well with ice cream or whipped cream.
This rustic peach tart recipe is sort of a cross between a cobbler and a pie crust. It puffs up because of the self-rising flour but it has that traditional pie crust taste and is incredibly moist.
More Peach Recipes!
Thank you so much for stopping by…