My New Blue Front Door

The Story of Our House ~ On Sutton Place
My family moved to Sutton Place in the spring of 1993. It looked vastly different then. Our yard was full of trees both in front and in back. We had no grass, no thriving landscaping and absolutely no curb appeal. We bought it mostly for the location and size…and of course the price. I experienced a dreadful case of buyer’s remorse soon after moving in. I couldn’t look at the big picture without wanting to cry…so I took things one at a time. Slowly projects were completed and improvements were made.
After years of blood, sweat and tears…here is what our house looks like today.
We have, by necessity, removed most of the trees from the lot.
Our plumbing was compromised by tree roots.
Our foundation was cracking.
Our patio, porch floor and garage floor were cracking as well.
We have pretty much replaced or fixed everything.
New roof.
Painted siding and trim (twice.)
Replaced every exterior door.
New landscaping.
New lawn.
New lights (twice.)
New deck.
Added porch railing.
Two things we haven’t addressed are the windows and asphalt driveway.
We recently finished putting our 2 children through college.
8 years of tuition sort of got in the way of any recent home improvement!
I so wish I had a picture of my old front doors.
They were double doors in the barn style…with  the “X” on the bottom
and diamond mullions on the top.
They were O-L-D.
The first few years we lived here snow actually blew inside.
So here is my front door from a few years ago.
It went from this…
To this!
I loved my red front door but I was ready for a change.
This color is the same navy I used in my kitchen.
Sherwin Williams Naval.
I like to switch up what I put in the planters.
This is by far my favorite look though…I adore the ferns.
Owning this home has been a character-building experience.
I have learned patience and perseverance.
I have learned that hard work pays off.
I have learned to never under-estimate the value of a good handy man.
At the end of the day this is where we return.
It’s a safe place for my family.
It’s where my heart is.
It’s home.
Thanks for stopping by…
Pinterest below post1

1. Lisa E says

Hello. I know this is an old post, but I just came across your blog (lovely) when trying to find a color for my friend’s brick ranch. He really fell in love with your front door color. My question is, however, what color gray are your shutters. Love the way they coordinate, however, I don’t see the color listed. I’d appreciate it, thanx in advance!

2. Esther says

I love the front door, I have a navy one as well. Are those fern planters navy as well or are they black. It’s hard to tell.

3. Pamela says

Hi. I am redecorating my front porch and as much as I don’t like the brick it isn’t something I can change. So I started my search for decorating ideas. I love the front door color, but I’m really interested in the pots with the ferns. Are the ferns real or artificial? Where did you find the pots?

4. Sandy L. says

Ann, I love your home — it’s just beautiful; and I really admire your decorating style and your imagination. Yours was one of the first “blogs” I discovered and it’s been a favorite from day one.
    Thank you for allowing us to follow along.
    Best to you from a fan in NC

5. Pam says

I am trying to decide on exterior colors and love your navy blue front door. What finish is your door – semi-gloss, satin? Also, what is the color of your shutters currently? Thanks!

I enjoyed reading the story of how you came to be On Sutton Place. I truly adore your home and your style. I have no doubt that I would feel right at home if I were to ever visit. I would love to have two tall planters flanking my front door. I’m sure it’s been awhile since you purchased yours, but may I ask where got them?

I love it! Of course…you probably knew that I would. ;) I think that I fall more deeply in love with our front door each time I look at it. :) Congrats on a beautiful home to drive up to and live in. Home is such a blessing. k.

I love the ferns AND your blue front door! I’ll have two in college for next year…and then one for the three years following that…it’s already been three years…I know EXACTLY how you feel! I just keep reminding myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint! xo

I am sure you dont have any ‘buyers remorse’ now! Your home is gorgeous Ann! Your home is a perfect example of how to update the exterior of what one might say, ‘typical houses’, because now, I bet it’s a stand-out in your street! Love the navy doors too, I think I actually like it better than the red. You guys are right to hold off on some improvements on your home for your kids college – their your best investment yet!CHEERS!

10. Anonymous says

I'm in Fergus Ontario Canada. Thank you for sharing pictures of your home with us. You've inspired me to go to our local Sherwin Williams first thing tomorrow to pick up "Naval" to repaint our front doors!

11. Inspire Me Heather says

Your door colour is gorgeous. I liked both but thought the newer colour is more fitting! I've got this linked to my doors post too today, well done!

12. Susan @ Your home, only better.com says

I love your door in red AND in blue. Sometimes change just to change is exactly what is needed! Thanks for the inspiration!

13. The Challenges of Raising Teen Twins says

The front door color is beautiful!I love the wreath can you give a tutorial. I have double front doors and they are painted Benjamin Moore Essex green so I would probably need to change up the color scheme. But I absolutley love the door color and the wreath. Beautiful!!

14. Kathysue says

I remember being here on your blog, now!! I saw your front door and was wowed by how great it looked. Great job, Kathysue

15. Annie Wilcox Designs says

I am in the same boat with the house sentiments, the drive and are walkway are next. My hostas are currently being attacked by moles and they are new this year. Yours looks wonderful.

Thanks for inspiring me.

16. very merry vintage style says

Looks gorgeous–wow those ferns really add pop and the planters are fabulous. Stop by and link up if you have time!
    Mary

17. Just B @ Love Where You Live says

Your front entrance is just lovely! I love the switch from your red door to navy, so striking. Navy is a classic color that never goes out of style. The potted ferns just add to that welcoming feel. Thanks for sharing! :)

18. Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) says

Your home has great curb appeal, and the new navy blue door is very sophisticated, especially with the ferns.

19. Three on Grove says

So pretty! Love the color and LOVE the wreath. Very nice job. We also have a blue door, but yours is slightly darker. I may give the darker color a try!

20. elizabeth@themustardceiling says

Gorgeous Ann,

You have done a beautiful job with your home. I am loving the new navy front door too!

21. Kathysue says

Ann this looks so beautiful and fresh and inviting!! Your curb appeal is beautiful. Love the blue, perfect choice. Kathysue

22. Babs says

Ann, Your home is so beautiful and has so much curb appeal. I can tell that you and your husband have put so much love and hard work into making it a warm and inviting home. I absolutely love the navy door and the planters with the ferns.. OMGosh. sooo pretty. I need a new door decoration and may just copy yours if you don't mind.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful home.
    Babs

23. At The Picket Fence says

OH! I just love this Ann! You have the touch for sure and it looks gorgeous. Your whole house and landscaping are so beautiful and totally my style (my house is stucco…not my favorite!). The blue door looks perfect and the wreath is incredible. I'm drooling here! :-)
    Vanessa

24. Nama Halacy's Comfy Cottage says

I am getting ready to do an outdoor redo and you are a true inspiration! Your home is beautiful!

25. Jen @ Domesticated Nomad says

I LOVE the blue. Don't get me wrong, red doors are great, but this is so much better and more unique! Great job.

26. Sue says

Your front door looks great. And the wreath and planters show if off beautifully. Your whole house has great curb appeal.
    Have a great day.
    Sue

27. Cindy (Applestone Cottage) says

A labor of love, your home is gorgeous and the new blue door looks mighty pretty!
    Love your wreath too…wonderfully done!
    Cindy

28. Natasha says

I love houses like yours and have dreamed about having one just like it. No wonder you are so proud of your achievements: you have created a beautiful home. Congratulations.

Best wishes for a lovely week,
    Natasha.

29. Pam says

Your house is just beautiful! I love how pretty you've made everything, including the new blue door. As you said, it's been a ton of work, but it sure looks like your hard work has paid off!

Have a great day!
    Pam

30. My Cottage Charm says

Hello there Ann with no -e-! :) I'm so glad you're my newest follower, I'm honored. It is kinda funny you just found a Goodwill dresser too, but I agree $60 seems a little steep for Goodwill! My dresser was so bad when I bought it that I was thinking $15 seemed like too much. (to the point I drove all the way home…then of course, you KNOW I went back! lol)
    Your house is very nice and I LOVE your new blue door color, it looks wonderful!
    Have a great week!
    missy

31. Barbara Rosenzweig says

So glad that you received my painting safe and sound, adore it, and liked it better in person!
    I can't ask for anything more than that!!
    Have a great week,
    Barb

32. ❀ⒹⒺⒺ❀ says

I love the color you picked for the front door. The wreath is one of the pretties I've seen. Your home looks like a model home with the landscaping done so beautifully.

Dee

33. Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads says

Your home truly looks like a haven. You can see the love and pride you have in your home. The new color of the front door is eye-catching, especially with the wreath and the ferns. Your rug compliments all of the colors you've used and adds some fun to your entrance.

34. Tauja @ Simply Mod Mom says

Your house is beautiful & the navy door is breathtaking! I've been itching to paint our door a striking color…but wimped out and stuck with the same old boring brown!

Great job!

35. Allison Shops says

LOVE the blue door! The door mat is pretty too. I need to get DD2 a new one. Very pretty entrance.
    Dropping by from Met Monday. I hope you'll come see the safari nursery.

Allison
    Atticmag

36. Pattie @ Olla-Podrida says

I liked the red a lot, but I really love the blue. What a fantastic change (love the doormat as well)! I always enjoy changing colors and swapping out items. I just wish I could convince my husband that this sort of thing needs doing occasionally.

37. Pamela Gordon says

You have a beautiful home and property. A lot of hard work has been done! I love the new colour of the front door. What a change! Your wreath is gorgeous. Have a great week.

38. Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow says

Ann, that navy blue door and the wreath you made are stunning!! And, yes, yes, yes, the homes can be great character builders. You have done a beautiful job with yours. blessings ~ Tanna

39. Katie says

Your new front door is great! I love the wreath you did! All your hardwork has paid off – your landscaping and exterior look great!

40. ⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ says

Ann your home is gorgeous, and such great curb appeal! I love the blue door. Thanks for joining the summer paint party. Have fun!

41. LDH says

So beautiful! Your home has lots and lots of curb appeal. The landscaping is just perfect too. SO fun stopping by to visit!

Kindly, Lorraine

42. Haven Conner says

I like both doors…still change is always fun! Your cute little mat is just the right touch!
    Blessings,
    Haven

43. ℳartina @ Northern Nesting says

Absolutely Beautiful Ann!! Your landscaping is gorgeous and I LOVE those planters with the ferns in them they look beautiful! Your front door looks great! Martina

44. Cindy says

You have obviously put a lot of work into the exterior of your home. Your blue door is beautiful and your wreath is FABULOUS! I love it!
    Your home has a great deal of curb appeal now, you must be very proud of it.
    Hugs, Cindy

45. Jodi says

Ann~ your home is beautiful! It's definately a home when you put all your hard work into it to make it your own; what a great accomplishment!

I love the blue door, and the wreath is gorgeous! I have a blue door too! :)

Jodi

46. Kayleen@TheJohnsonHome says

Your home definitely has curb appeal now! I love your home and the new front door color. I am wanting me some nice blue paint somewhere. Maybe the living room when we get around to that redo. Thanks for visiting and following me at the Johnson Home, it always makes my day to have new friends.

47. Cozy Little House says

It sure is gorgeous now! And that front door: you picked the absolute best color. So tranquil for those who enter. Wish I was good at making wreathes. That one is a beauty!
    Brenda

48. Susan @ Busy Home Adventures says

What a showstopper! I love the blue, the doormat, the wreath, and the ferns! It's so fresh and summery. You must be really pleased!

49. Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures says

Your home is absolutley beautiful. I mean that. Once again I am loving the Hostas. The blue door was a fabulous change. I really can't put into words how great your home looks. I am glad you are so proud of it because you should be.

50. Carolyn@SweetChaos says

Ann, you are not alone. A new doormat would totally make my day, too ;) I LOVE the blue door. Your wreath really pops against it. It's nice that your house lends itself to changing door colors… it's fun to switch things up from time to time. Nice job!

51. laurie says

you know,,, i love a red door,, but this blue is so classy, really elegant looking, your home is just lovely,, all work hard work was worth it I'm sure,

52. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) says

Your home and landscaping are gorgeous. Fabulous curb appeal. I love the blue door, it is so pretty and the wreath looks stunning. I need to redo my wreath, thanks for the inspiration. Hugs, marty

53. Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor says

I love, love your blue front door….so glad you found a color. I will have to remember the color you used. Your home is beautiful and you can take such pride in everything you've done. It's so worth it, isn't it. You are so lucky to have a handy hubby because mine isn't and it really hinders projects unless I want to do it on my own. Anyway, such a great blue front door!!

54. Something Nice and Pretty says

You have one beautiful home and you can tell a lot of love has been put into it! I love the new color of your door but what really took my breath away was the wreath you made for it, such a great job on it, really pretty!

Rondell

55. Barbara Rosenzweig says

You have really done an amazing job! It looks wonderful!!
    My age? Oh well, at least my kids know the song from my singing it. I guess that I should change the title of that post!
    I hope that your painting arrived and that it is what you expected.
    Have a great weekend,
    Barb

56. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says

You have created great curb appeal! And I just love the navy door. It contrasts so nicely with the brick and the white trim. And all the little details just work so nicely together – the wreath, the ferns, the mat, etc… Great job!

57. Stacey says

Ann -
    Your home looks very nice – I love the new look to the door – wow! I know what you mean about curb appeal as I have none as well. Yours looks really nice – welcoming and sweet. Your investment and work paid off! I am wondering how you get the name of your blog on the bottom of all the pictures you post – would love to know how to do this if you have a moment!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

58. Terry says

I love the new naval blue door and matching welcome mat. I think it makes you perfectly normal that that mat made your day. :)

59. Pondside says

I like your new door colour very much.
    We once had a house that looked a lot like yours – it was just the best family house!

60. classic • casual • home says

Truly gorgeous. You must be so proud. I love the door color. We painted ours a bluish green to match the flagstone steps. Yours is really elegant and the striped door mat is so fun.