This fresh strawberry streusel recipe combines sour cream, a delicious streusel and ripe strawberries for a delicious and easy dessert!
Oh my…welcome to warm weather, leaves on the trees and strawberry season! Today I’m sharing an easy dessert where the streusel does double duty as the crust and the topping. Love it when that happens. This Fresh Strawberry Streusel recipe also calls for sour cream…which you have to admit makes just about anything taste great. It went together in no time and when it was in the oven, the aroma was amazing. I served it warm with whipped topping and it was a hit. Thumbs up for sure!
The streusel for this recipe does double-duty and acts as the bottom “crust” of the dessert and also the topping. That’s one of the reasons it is so easy and quick to put together. If by some chance this fresh strawberry streusel doesn’t get eaten when it’s fresh, just cover the pan and it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. I am pretty sure it won’t last that long though!
Fresh Strawberry Streusel Recipe
- 1 cup butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 - 3 cups strawberries cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 2 T. sugar for the strawberries
- 2 Tablespoon Flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray or Baker's Joy.
- To prepare the streusel: in a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add melted butter and stir with a fork until the butter is completely mixed in.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the streusel for topping. Pour remaining streusel into 9 x 13 pan and firmly pat down.
- Add 1 - 2 Tablespoons sugar to cleaned and sliced strawberries. Let set at room temperature.
- With an electric mixer, combine sour cream, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour sour cream mixture over streusel.
- Evenly sprinkle strawberries over sour cream mixture making sure to include any natural juice.
- Use remaining streusel as a topping over the strawberries.
- Bake for 30 - 35 min. until crust and topping is golden brown.
- Let cool completely. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Fresh Strawberry Streusel Recipe Tips
I mentioned in the recipe that substitutes for the fresh strawberries could be strawberry jam or pie filling. Personally, I think homemade jam of any flavor would be perfect. I think that cherry pie filling would be delicous as well. If you use jam, you can sort of swirl it into the sour cream layer. I am definitely trying it that way…and soon.
Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my complete disclosure statement.
Fresh Strawberry Streusel Recipe Sources:
More delicious strawberry dessert recipes!
- Strawberry Scones
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Skillet Cake
- Strawberry Lemon Shortbread Bars
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Strawberry Walnut Bread
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
- Strawberry Icebox Cake
- Strawberry No Churn Ice Cream
Thank you so much for stopping by…see you soon!