This lace pumpkin decor craft is an easy alternative to painting. Learn how to make your own Mod Podge pumpkins with this tutorial.
This is a super-easy DIY Mod Podge pumpkin craft that’s perfect for kids and adults. This quick autumn project adds a classic, vintage touch to your fall decor. You’ll want to pull out this timeless piece again and again for years to come.
I can’t believe it has been so many years since I created this tutorial. The first time I published it was back in 2013! Since then I have updated it with brand new images, more information and helpful tips, and current links. All these years later and I still use this darling little pumpkin in my fall decor every year. This is a timeless and classic DIY decor idea that will outlast any trend.
Why You Will Love This DIY Fall Decor Craft
There are so many things to like about this DIY mod podge pumpkin craft. It’s cheap, it’s fun, it’s super easy, and it uses easy-to-get ingredients you likely already have on hand. Trust me…when you’ve finished this project, you will want to mod podge doilies on everything!
How To Make A Lace Pumpkin
- Create A Hole In the Doily: with your scissors, open the hole in the center of the doily. All doilies have a hole in the middle, although some are very small. You need to make this hold big enough so that it will fit easily over the stem of the pumpkin.
- To prevent the hole from being too big, make it just a bit larger at first, and then try to fit it over the stem. Slowly make the hole a little bigger each time until it just barely fits over the stem. Unfortunately, there is no way to make the opening smaller once it’s opened, so go slowly here.
- After you get it the perfect size, put the doily aside.
- Mod Podge The Pumpkin: apply a thick coat of Mod Podge to the pumpkin with a sponge brush. Only apply it to the top of the pumpkin where the lace doily will lay.
- Mod Podge dries clear, so it doesn’t matter if you cover more area than the doily needs. That being said, you may want to purchase the matte variety so underneath the doily doesn’t gleam glossy.
- Add The Lace Doily: place the doily back on the pumpkin, and press it into the Mod Podge. Stretch it out, and make sure it’s placed where you want it.
- Dab a good amount of Mod Podge around the opening of the doily so it doesn’t fray. Let it dry.
- Apply a second coat of Mod Podge over the doily and allow it dry completely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you mod podge real pumpkins?
Yes, you can Mod Podge either fake or real pumpkins! The only downside to using real pumpkins is that they rot. As they rot, it will ruin your lace doilies. If you want to use real pumpkins for this craft, I suggest using disposable paper doilies.
What kind of lace can I use?
I seriously considered using vintage lace doilies, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I just didn’t want to cut them. If you have a big collection of lace doilies, and don’t mind giving up a few, you could definitely use them for this project. That would be a great way to recycle what you already have.
One more note…I used a small pumpkin with a small doily. Doilies and faux pumpkins come in all sizes, so it’s a personal choice what size(s) you make.
What can I use if I don’t have Mod Podge?
The closest substitute to Mod Podge is PVA glue. It is spreadable and also dries on clear, just like Mod Podge.
Where can I display my lace pumpkin?
I have two of these mod podge pumpkins, and over the years, I’ve used them everywhere in my fall decor. Inside and out, in the kitchen, and in the living room. They are lightweight and so simple to store.
Both of my pumpkins look as nice today as the day I made them. If you have older children or grandchildren, this would be a fun thing to do with them. It’s also the perfect craft for a ladies night out or senior center craft session.
Shop + Source
Affiliate links included. See my disclosure statement. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More Ideas To Celebrate Fall
- How To Add Dried Gourds to Your Fall Decor
- How To Add Touches of Fall To Your Kitchen
- Easy Living Room Autumn Decor
Use this Thanksgiving planner to make the holiday easy for you, and so lovely for your family & friends. Includes planning and organization pages, turkey tips, a Thanksgiving prayer, and more.