Easy apple breakfast muffins that are quick to make and delicious. The perfect recipe for those busy mornings when you need breakfast on the go!
*This post was originally published in 2014. It’s been updated with new images and much more information. Enjoy!
Before we get started talking about these apple breakfast muffins, I have a little back story to share. When my kids were young, I wasn’t very good at breakfast. I wasn’t one of those moms who got up early and made pancakes before school. (Does anyone really do that?) My daughter wasn’t a breakfast eater anyway, and my son was perfectly satisfied with a bowl of cereal. Or at least I thought he was. If I had known how easy it is to make a healthy, but homemade breakfast, I think I would have been better at it. Or at least I would like to think so.
These muffins are easy and quick to throw together. They are moist and when you bite into a piece of apple, it’s like hitting the jackpot. They don’t have anything weird in them that kids wouldn’t like. In fact, they are very kid-friendly. I wish I could go back to when my kids were still at home, make these for breakfast, and hear what they had to say. I think it would be so interesting! Of course I can’t, so I’m sharing them with the hope that someone out there makes these for breakfast, and thinks of me.
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Apple Breakfast Muffins Tips
- I made a dozen regular sized muffins, but you could make mini muffins for smaller servings.
- I used Honeycrisp apples, and they worked well. It’s up to you whether or not to peel the apples. I didn’t peel them, and they stayed firm in the batter.
- I considered putting a streusel topping on the muffins, but that would definitely cut down on the healthy factor. If you aren’t worried about that, then I think any sort of streusel would be amazing.
- The tulip wrappers are a nice touch, and if you are making these apple breakfast muffins as a gift, they definitely make a good impression! Any type of cupcake or muffin liner can be used. It also works to simply spray the muffin pan with non-stick baking spray or brush the vessels with butter.
Apple Breakfast Muffins
- 3 Tablespoons butter softened
- 3 Tablespoons applesauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large apple finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a muffin pan with Baker's Joy or muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter, applesauce, sugars, milk, vanilla and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add dry mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and mix well. Scrape the bowl a few times.
- Fold in apples.
- Using a 2 in. scoop, fill muffin vessels almost to the rim. Use a heaping scoop and you should come out with 12 muffins.
- Bake 18 - 20 min. or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
On Sutton Place
If you make these muffins, and love them, I encourage you to come back and leave a 5-star review. It would help me so much, and would really appreciate it!