Sew your own DIY dog bed for that special pup in your life! This is a very quick sewing project, with easy to follow directions.
*This post is sponsored by Walmart, but as always, all selections, opinions, and creations are my own. Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Did you know September is National Sewing Month? It was declared in 1982 by President Reagan, who said the celebration is “in recognition of the importance of home sewing to our Nation.” Who knew? So even though I about ran out of time because we are nearing the end of September, I want to share this very easy sewing tutorial for a DIY dog bed.
As some of you know, we said goodbye to our little dog, Kelly, in July. We can’t bring ourselves to get another dog yet, but we get our puppy fix by visiting with our daughter’s little miniature schnauzer, Lucy. When Walmart Home asked me to partner with them to celebrate National Sewing Month, I knew immediately that I was going to make Lucy a new bed. She turned one on September 10th, so it was the perfect birthday present.
DIY Dog Bed: Getting Started
The measurements and instructions below are for one 26 in. x 26 in. dog bed. I was inspired by this dog bed tutorial on Walmart.com. I chose to alter the measurements, but if you want to make a bed that’s 24 in. x 24 in. see the Walmart tutorial. There’s also a very handy video that shows the steps.
You need three different fabric designs. I made it easy by choosing pre-cut, already coordinated pieces of Better Homes & Gardens fabric. The cute black and white patterns match my daughter’s decor perfectly.
- Design #1: 1/2 yard
- Design #2: 1/2 yard
- Design #3: 1.5 yards (this fabric will be the back of the bed)
DIY Dog Bed Steps
- Wash and dry your fabric. Press with an iron if needed.
- Measure and cut 6 strips of fabric (3 fabrics, 2 strips from each fabric) that are 5.25 inches wide x 27 inches long.
- Measure and cut 2 pieces of fabric (rectangles) that are 16 inches x 27 inches.
- Sew the 6 strips together with 1/2 inch seams, making sure to alternate fabric patterns.
- Press all the strip seams well. You should have a square piece that measures approximately 27 inches x 27 inches.
- For both rectangles: press over 1/2 inch on one long side of each piece. Press over again. Sew the hems.
- To assemble: with WRONG side down, place the square sewn strips on a flat surface. With wrong sides up, place the rectangles on the square, with the hems overlapping in the middle. (RIGHT sides will be together.) Pin well so there’s no movement.
- Sew all along the outside with a 1/2 inch seam.
- Turn the cover and press well.
- This method would make a darling pillow cover, and it can be accomplished by simply adjusting the measurements.
Whenever I share a sewing project, I always get emails asking me what kind of sewing machine I use. I have a Singer sewing machine that I love, and it was purchased about 30 years ago. It’s still going strong, but if I had to replace it, I would choose this sewing machine. If you are thinking about buying a new sewing machine, and need additional advice, Walmart has a wonderful Sewing Machine Buying Guide that will take the guesswork out of the decision.
DIY Dog Bed Resource Guide
Just click the images to go straight to the product.
Having Lucy in our lives has helped cheer us up after losing Kelly. She really is so adorable! Sometimes, it’s still hard for me to grasp the fact that Kelly is gone. The sadness is beginning to fade, and the good memories are coming to the surface. For that, I am very grateful.
*A special thank you to my daughter for taking these cute pictures of Lucy. She was a very good girl and the perfect model!