This rice krispie treats recipe makes a 9 x 13 pan of rich and creamy squares. They are so easy to make, and substituting marshmallow fluff for regular marshmallows is the secret!
Rice Krispie treats are an American classic…a tried and true favorite of millions of people. Normally, it wouldn’t be a good idea to make changes to such an iconic recipe, but that’s exactly what I did! Many, many years ago I made a few tweaks to the original recipe, and I’ve been making that version ever since.
The original recipe on the box of Rice Krispies calls for 3 tablespoons of butter, a bag of marshmallows, and 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal. I changed those ingredients to 4 tablespoons of butter, a large container of marshmallow creme (sometimes referred to as fluff), and 8 cups of Rice Krispies. Not a huge change, but one that has a big impact on the taste and texture of the treats.
Tips for Amazing Rice Krispie Treats
- It takes patience, but make sure to get all the marshmallow fluff out of the jar or container. A rubber spatula works best. It’s sticky, but totally worth the effort!
- When heating the butter and fluff, stir constantly. When it smooths out, and begins to pull away from the bottom of the pan, it’s ready. Do not overcook…it doesn’t need to be piping hot.
- It’s important to firmly smash down the warm cereal/fluff combination after pouring it into the 9 x 13 pan. A large stainless steel spoon works the best.
Rice Krispie Treats Recipe with Fluff
- 1 13 oz. jar/container marshmallow cream
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add marshmallow cream and stir until combined. All the lumps have to be gone and it will be smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Rice Krispies 2 c. at a time. Mix well.
- Put out into 9 x 13 pyrex pan and smash down with a large spoon.
- Let sit for one hour.
- Cut and enjoy!
**If you make this recipe, I would love for you to leave a 5 star review in the comments below. If you share on Instagram or Facebook, make sure to tag @onsuttonplace so I can see what you’re making!
My family loves these, especially my son and dad. Whenever I take them anywhere, people want to know what I do to make them so thick and yummy. This is a no-fail rice krispie treats recipe that kids can make with adult supervision for the cooking part. No adult supervision is needed for the smashing part!
Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
What You Need to Make Rice Krispie Treats
When my son was in high school, he was a 4-year member of the golf team. When he was a freshman, for his very first away match, he asked me to make cookies for the road trip. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies and a batch of these rice krispie treats. The boys loved them so much that I was nominated for snack duty for the rest of his high school career! I was working full time at the school then, and believe me there were times when I was in the kitchen until 10 P.M. I loved it though, and disappointing those boys was never an option. I’ve said this before, but I so wish I could go back, and have just one of those nights when I was up until 10 p.m. making snacks.
You really can’t get more classic than Rice Krispie Treats…or more delicious. You certainly can’t get much easier. I really hope you give these a try. Your family will think you’re wonderful!
Until next time…