This amazing lemonade icebox cake has just 6 ingredients, is super easy, and there’s no baking. It lasts in the refrigerator for up to 3 days…but I can guarantee it won’t last that long!
Summer and lemonade are like Bert and Ernie, or peanut butter and jelly. Chips and dip…Lucy and Ricky. They just go together…so when I found this Lemonade Icebox Cake recipe I knew it was a great choice for an easy summer dessert. Emphasis on easy. The hardest part is waiting the six hours it takes for the cake to set up!
The sugar from the cream cheese/Cool Whip mixture somehow soaks into the graham crackers and they end up tasting like a graham cracker crust. When it comes to the number of layers, make as many as you want. I ended up with four, but it would be just as good with three…and the cream cheese/Cool Whip layers would be thicker. (You can see exactly how to lay the graham crackers out by visiting my No Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake post.)
Lemonade Icebox Cake Tips
A couple more things about this cake that I just love.
- Because it doesn’t contain any fresh fruit, this lemonade icebox cake lasts for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. You can definitely make it a day ahead if you are serving it for an event. If you are making an icebox cake that calls for fresh fruit, it won’t last as long.
- It cuts like a real cake and it looks beautiful. A simple lemon and mint garnish is all you need to make it extra special
- It’s very important to refrigerate the finished icebox cake for at least 6 hours. It takes that long for the cream cheese mixture to become solid enough to cut nicely.
Graham Cracker Substitutions
Using graham crackers for this lemonade icebox cake works best, but if you want to try something different, here are some suggestions:
- lady fingers
- store bought sugar cookies (like Lorna Doone)
- vanilla wafers
To test to find out if a cookie will make a good substitute for the graham crackers, dip it in a glass of milk. If it begins to absorb the milk and soften right away, you have a winner.
Lemonade Icebox Cake
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate thawed
- zest of one lemon
- One box of graham crackers
- 12 oz. Cool Whip
- Beat cream cheese and milk until smooth. About 2 minutes.
- Add thawed lemonade and lemon zest.
- Beat again another minute until well blended.
- Fold in 12 oz. of Cool Whip. (I bought a 16 oz. container and used about 3/4's of it.)
- In an 8 x 8 glass dish, spread a thin layer of the Cool Whip mixture.
- Place graham crackers (covering the whole layer) and press lightly so they sink into the Cool Whip.
- Make three more layers. You should end and begin with the Cool Whip mixture and have four layers of graham crackers.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
This lasts in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just cover lightly with foil.
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Visit my Amazon Shop for my favorite kitchen tools…and much more!
More icebox cake recipes!