This is the best grilled chicken recipe! It’s easy, moist and delicious. Uses fresh or frozen chicken breasts. Paired with rosemary roasted potatoes, it makes the perfect summertime meal.
The Best Grilled Chicken Recipe
A few summers ago I read somewhere (don’t remember where) how to make delicious easy grilled chicken…finally. Grilling chicken for me was always a struggle. I either didn’t get it done enough, or I ended up burning it. Here’s an easy method that will give you beautiful grilled chicken every time.
*Affiliate links included. Click HERE for my disclosure statement.
Best Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 1 40 oz. bag frozen chicken breasts fresh chicken breasts can be used also
- 1 24 oz. container Ken's Steak House Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- 10 fresh basil leaves chopped
- salt & pepper
- Partially thaw the bag of chicken. It doesn't have to be completely thawed.
- Pour the jar of salad dressing into the bag of chicken. Add the chopped basil.
- Seal and roll the bag until all the chicken is covered with dressing.
- Place the bag in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the baking pan from the refrigerator. Empty the contents of the bag into the pan.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and turn chicken, making sure to move the pieces around and redistribute the dressing.
- Microwave for 5 minutes more.
- Place chicken on preheated grill. Add salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes per side. Check to see if it’s done before removing from grill. Chicken should be white and the juices should be clear. (Cooking time will vary depending on the heat of your grill.)
This is the best grilled chicken recipe because it’s tender and full of flavor. The grill cooking time really depends on how done the chicken is when it comes out of the microwave. If it’s cooked all the way through, decrease your grill cooking time to 3 to 5 minutes per side. Grilled chicken is done when it’s no longer pink, and the juices run clear.
When I first started making grilled chicken using this method, I used Marzetti’s honey dijon dressing for the marinade. It’s impossible to find these days, so I switched to Ken’s Steak House…and it’s just as good. Sweet Italian or Ranch dressing can also be substituted. The most important thing is to marinate the chicken in the dressing for at least four hours…six hours is better.
One last tip! Recently, I starting making this grilled chicken recipe with fresh chicken tenders . The marinating time is the same, but because the tenders are much smaller, there is no need to cook them in the microwave. They cook quickly on the grill, and without burning.
Grilled Chicken Side Dish Idea
Rosemary Potatoes: Fresh herbs are always fun to cook with and brighten the flavor of food. This is especially true when you cook with rosemary. Roasted potatoes are so simple and they are filled with flavor. It’s best to use fresh rosemary, but if you don’t have any, a good substitute is rosemary flavored olive oil. Any kind of potatoes can be used, just make sure to chop bigger potatoes into smaller chunks. I tend to get a little heavy-handed with the salt, because I think it adds great flavor. Definitely season to your own taste! The quick method to make these potatoes is included in the recipe card below.
Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs fingerling or new potatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder (optional)
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut potatoes into bite size pieces.
- Place potatoes in an oven safe casserole or skillet.
- Drizzle with olive oil until potatoes are covered. Toss well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic powder if desired.
- Arrange potatoes in one layer.
- Top with 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes uncovered until fork tender. Remove and shake potatoes halfway through cooking time.
- Discard rosemary before serving.
Join the OSP Email
Subscriber list and get
this free collection of
Sunday Supper ideas.
Click the image
to learn more!