Cast Iron Skillet Cranberry Crumble Recipe: easy and festive dessert idea for holiday gatherings.
If you are looking for a last-minute Christmas dessert, and you love cranberries, this is the recipe for you! This cast iron skillet cranberry crumble is easy and looks very festive so it’s perfect for the holiday weekend. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, no worries there. Just use whatever baking pan you have in the cupboard.
This is definitely a recipe that you can tweak to your taste. It’s more tart than sweet, so feel free to add more sugar and orange juice to the cranberries. (I promise I won’t tell.) Another option is to substitute apples or pears for one bag of the cranberries. For the topping, use whatever nut you like or have on hand. Pecans or walnuts would be delicious.
Cast Iron Skillet Cranberry Crumble Recipe
- 2 12 oz. bags fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1/2 an orange
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup oats (any kind, quick or regular)
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter (1 stick) cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup honey roasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil a 10-inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon canola oil.
- Combine ingredients for the fruit mixture. Mix well by hand with a large spatula.
- Put fruit mixture into the prepared cast iron skillet. Set aside.
- Combine the following crumble ingredients: flour, oats, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Whisk together.
- Add butter pieces. Combine butter and crumble ingredients with a pastry blender or your fingers.
- Add almond slices.
- Put crumble topping on cranberry mixture in the cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until crumble topping is golden and cranberries are bubbling.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped topping.
Click HERE for my favorite cast iron skillet.